• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear end issue....

Ghost

Member Number 257
NAXJA Member
Ok I have bene thinking about this since I came home for the Crawl in July. A friend said I should watch the video of my rear end. So I found the video and watched it. Background: D60's, 42" SX II's (first trail ride) 7.5" RE coil and 1.75 spacer in front, 8" Alcans rear with daystar greasable shackle (about 1.5" lift IIRC) with H1 rims. I did not have near enough air out of the tires, apparently I had the staun deflators set wrong. I was told to watch the rear of the spring. The rear leafs are seperating on steep climbs. You can see it starting about 5:55. My shackle is about vertical and I know it needs to be relocated forward and down. Is this my problem or are there other issues causing the leafs to seperate and what appears to be the rear axle driving under the jeep.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=joFsWQqcmsc

To much arch in the springs.

To much arch in the springs.

That is one of the comment a local wheeling/mechanic friend had said. Any sugestions? I am leaning towards fix shackle angle for sure and a center limiting strap for starters.

Maybe using a Longer Main Spring with less Arch and doing a Rear Leaf Spring Mount Relocation with Long Boomerang Shackles would help IMHO.

About the Bounce... Adjustable Shocks would dampen all that Bounce IMHO. Adjustability would allow the Suspension to absorb all that Bounce without transmitting it to the XJ and help keep the Wheels on the Trail IMHO. That way you could set them according to the Terrain being driven over.

Not sure if this helps, however, I gave it a try. Good Luck.

cher96 Vicki

Last edited:
Back