• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Gaskets - OEM vs. aftermarket

fyrfytr1717

NAXJA Forum User
Now that I've read enough about the usual suspects, I'm getting ready to tackle my oil leaks. I'm in the gathering parts phase at the moment and am trying to determine which direction to go. I'm planning on doing the valve cover, RMS, oil pan, etc. and need to know which gaskets to buy. I see a lot of folks mention the Fel-Pro gaskets. Is this due to lower cost, or better quality than the OEM gaskets?

I've read about some of the Fel-Pros being slightly different than OEM. Needing to cut ears off the RMS seal and slightly different shape on the oil pan gasket among other things. I'm more than willing to spend a couple of extra bucks on the OEM gaskets to lessen the headaches and make sure things go smoothly. I just want to do it once and do it right so my oil leaks go away (at least for a good long while anyways).

My plan at this point is to order the OEM gakets using the Mopar parts list for my particular model year ('99 4.0 Auto) and call it good. Would anyone recommend NOT going with the OEM for a reason other than price? Are the OEM gaskets crappy and the cause of my oil leaks in the first place? Any opinions would be appreciated.

I pretty much always use Fel-Pro when I need to buy a gasket. I dunno how they compare to dealer parts.
I do not believe I am using a gasket at this time on the valve cover, just RTV.

Fel-Pro are (as far as I know) the best out there right now... the blue rubber + metal one anyways. 5-90 here has a really good thread on how to do the oilpan+RMS swap; he also suggests you get a timing cover gasket to install while changing this out. Also note that the OEM pan gasket was a 4-piece set I believe - the Fel-Pro is a one piece and is simpler to keep in place.

x2 for RTV on the valve cover. I did this a few months ago and its still leak free. Also, my brother put a new valve cover on his XJ and it came with what looked like RTV and no other real gasket.

Also note that the OEM pan gasket was a 4-piece set I believe - the Fel-Pro is a one piece and is simpler to keep in place.

This is the kind of info I was looking for. A one piece gasket seems like it would not only be easier to install, but that it would also be less prone to leaks. Anyone tried both the OEM and aftermarket RMS?

Back