• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

blown amp? audiophiles read here:)

hightime81

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys,

My sub started acting funny the other day. it sounds REALLY under powered, thought it would be a blown sub, but i tested it and another one on the amp and they sounded the same.

that being said, i have checked the inline fuses, and the ground, and they looked good. i checked voltage across the connections and only got 6 volts,weird right? this is a pretty decent quality rockford fosgate amp, but it is ~7 years old or more...

any other tips to check to see if it is blown or just figure that it is?

thanks for any help.

check the power line to see the voltage, take in line fuse out, check volts for 12 volts on the line, open up the amp and look for burn componets, broken componets,
make sure the ground is free form anything hitting it, check the wires goin to the speaker, is their any nicks the any of the wires, did you change settings on the cd player? is their a smell? make sure you have a good meter, cheap meters lie. is the speaker warped from the heat, check voltage with jeep on
try these

Like he said check voltage up your line u probally have a short in main power line. Disconect positive from amp and check it there ide bet you have 6 volts, if you do that takes the amp out of the equasion. If your like how i used to be u got a fuse so big on the amp a direct short wont take it out....(not actually a good thing)

Back