• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Adding aftermarket cruise to '92 Comanche

e-vasko

NAXJA Forum User
I'm adding an aftermarket cruise control to my '92 Comanche 4.0L, auto trans. I need to find the wire for the Tach and it would be nice to find the wire for the VSS from the transmission too (but I do have the kit to mount a transducer to pick up the speed from the drive shaft). The manual that came with the cruise tells me I should have a a gray wire for the Tach and a white or white/orange wire for the VSS. I looked under the dash for a plug on the wire harness for a factory cruise but didn't find one, but there are a couple of suspiscious connectors. What does the connector for the factory cruise look like (and what is the pinning), and if I don't have that, where can I find the Tach and VSS wires?

Thanks

Ed

So I talked to a friend who used to build XJ's and MJ's. The wires are in the harness under the hood, but if cruise wasn't ordered, a different section of harness was used under the dash that didn't have the cruise connector. My friend wasn't sure if there was another tachometer wire available under the dash. Does anyone know if there is a tach wire under the dash?

Are you using the audiovox kit? If it is let me know if you get it to work, I ordered one and it never worked so i got my money back.

Mines a Microcruise 4 by Rostra Precision Controls that I got from JC Whitney, but the warranty is through Audiovox so it might be the same. The control unit is built into the servo. Funny thing is that the connector is there for the factory control switches mounted on the turn signal stalk but not the connector for the actual control module. Looking through the forums it seems that there is a tach wire behind the instrument cluster that I might be able to use. Will let you know how it goes.

The stock plug for the switch on my '91 is a tiny little thing that is to the right of the column off by itself. I can't get a picture now but I will try tomorrow if you PM a reminder

I can also get you the wiring from my FSM. I assume it stayed the same for 91 and 92

Back