• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Chrome Bumper for 97-01 XJ - do they exist?

archery_tim

NAXJA Forum User
Hey there.
I have a 98 cherokee and i'm in the process of prettying it up for my wife. As a result i need to get a chrome front bumper (not my choice, you understand..) but no matter how much i search i cant find such a thing. I have seen them for the older version - but nowhere i look can i see them for a 97-01 XJ. My impression is also that the older bumper is not compatible with the newer end caps (its a slightly different shape)

I would hate to have to get the current bumper chromed 'cause that gonna be expensive. I would prefer not to use tacky chrome paint either, 'cause that never looks that good.

Im new on here and so i would really appreciate any help. Thanks :flipoff:

I would say just use the older style front bumper with end caps. Or try to come up with a way to make the Newer style fit better.

Thanks for the info. Are you saying that i should use the older style chrome bumper with the older end caps? - which could work, but i don't think it will look very good as it will leave a big gap where the fender flare should be. Alternatively are you suggesting that the newer bumper end caps will sort-of fit on the older style bumper?

Like i mentioned, its for my wife, and she can be quite specific what she wants :D

The older (chrome) bumper should bolt right on and you might be able to modify the 97+ end caps to fit. An easier but possibly more expensive route would be to get a 97+ bumper chromed. Judging from the pic you wouldn't need to get the whole bumper chromed.
IMO the chrome bumper by itself will look out of place but if you were to add a chrome grille and headlight bezels like below, it might just work.
Who knows, you could start a trend.
Bens8.jpg

Last edited:
Dont believe so as tow hook brackets are the same across the years.

Years ago before I purchase a C4x4 front bumper I tried to install an older bumper on my 98 and the bolt holes are not the same... There is a bolt hole on the top where the bumper brackets fit that provides for a torks bolt.
You would have to adapt an old bumper to fit a newer XJ, but the new bumper would be backwards compatable for mounting on an older XJ.
I am not sure about the older end caps fitting on a newer XJ bumper.....

Last edited:
A friend of mine installed my '98 bumper on his '89 Commanche. He did use the '98 bumper mount brackets, but other than that, it was a direct bolt on.

However, he didn't install the '98 end caps as that would have required trimming of his existing fenders to make them fit.

a chrome bumper will be tacky with black end caps, BUT maybe you could buy her a simple jcr bumper like a stage 1 or stage 2 and get that dipped in chrome =D, not only will it be 10X stronger BUT it will be all one color too! and for the extra coin you could add D rings to it!

Back