• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

My budget build suggestions would be helpful

kcclark

NAXJA Forum User
:us:I have recently bought a 1987 cherokee for 350$ woohoo. My goal is to have a build for under 1000$ when done. Problems boiled water out the over flow bottle and had inttermitten spark. The next day I get it home I go and get a crank sensor and an over flow bottle from advance auto and she runs like a champ. So far investment total is 350$ jeep 50$ trailer to get it home 30$ crank sensor 57$ overflow bottle at a running total of 487$ So far donated to me is a set of 4" front coils and a 2" spacer and 2" sets of xj leaf springs and a 2" rear spacer. hopefuly I and build a bastard pack out of the xj springs if not time to go to pull a part. Do I need to doubble the whole pack with thoes springs? Next I have a set of tires for it and they are BFG MT 295/16 finding cheeeep wheels for it will be the next hassle. Here are some pics comments would be helpful

http://www.flickr.com/photos/41484376@N08/
enjoy the link will have updates soon

great start. sounds like youve got a pretty good idea.
4" of lift will be rough w/o addressing control arm angles, trackbar, possibly steering suckage.

worse has been done before, have fun and run it till the wheels fall offq

Last edited:
Lucky boy, you have the automatic!('87 was the year of the Peugeot for std. trans.XJs)
What rear axle do you have? A lot of '87s came with Dana-44s

You might want to start spraying the suspension bolts(and shocks) with a good penetrating oil every day or two until you tear it apart. 'Might save a few headaches down the road.

And start watching craigslist
IM at 2500 and i paid 1200 for mine
im at 4inches basterd rear 2xj packs adjustable track and lowers 4wd conversion front and rear bumpers and sliders... 8 off road lights and 2 xtra drive shafts...
I watch craigs religiously

Sweet find!!!!

I would not double up the leaf packs. Cutting down the main leaf and using it on the other pack will roughly give you a 2" lift. I would start with the main leaf and maybe a middle leaf. Take if from there, then add another leaf if you need or want to. But, each setup will be different because of sag of the leaf packs and the weight of your rig.

E

Back