• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Mad as Hell!

Ecomike

NAXJA# 2091
NAXJA Member
I received two credit card bills from Citi (basically Citi bank) today that showed the balance due today! All my other bills in today's mail showed due dates around 12+ days from today.

So I called Citi to read them the riot act. You won't believe what I found out (OK maybe you will).

The supervisor I spoke with (one level beyond the first person to answer), after I got finished ranting and raving, and telling them what I would do if my bills showed up late, and already due or past due again, he tells me that he adjusted my due dates for future billing cycles. HUH? I asked for clarification.

He told me that since I typically pay my bill about 10-14 days before the due date (I usually prepay, and over pay with an automatic bank set up, so they can't screw me over with late charges), that the system (I got a good laugh out of that one), shortened my billing cycle due date automatically. (Yeah right, tell me another good one, make my day).

How nice, so if I decide to delay a payment one month by a few days while waiting for the actual bill, I now get screwed with late fees for paying too early in the past billing cycles, thank you very much.

Well I don't know what to believe, but I smell a rat. I suggest you watch your mail and due dates! The GAME is afoot it seems!

Damn that's messed up. Atleast you caught it... thanks for the heads up.

Ask them if you could just not pay the bill for 6 months at a time and then maybe they'll bill you for one month evrey 6 months. That would make paying that bill easier.

Sorry if the light-hearted tone I put on it offends.

...???

No problem, this is the political section where everyone wears a tin hat, LOL! Politics is already a messed up subject, so once again not a problem in this forum.

20 years ago Chase bank tried this crap, and back the bills had a US postal mail received dat stamped on the envelope, so the mailer could pull this crap of mailing bills late. Now they are exempt (bulk mail) so we no longer have an proof of when a creditor mailed us a bill. I thought this was a mail it late, and squeeze the creditee thing again, but no, it was a new game, a shorten the billing cycle beyond all reason thing so it is due before you could possibly receive the bill crap.

They're losing money everywhere else so they figure if they squeeze the people who are dedicated there will be minimal uprising and they may get a few bucks out of those who don't notice and just pay the late fees. Good eye for catching it and even better for calling about it. I'd refer them to past billing dates and tell them to change it back.

Sounds like about the same game my water and gas company plays. I prepay on projected usage. They read the meters (peg the usage) at variable intervals (never on the same date twice), use floating rates and then peg the floating rates at intervals of their choice, nobody on the planet really understands the system or exactly how to reconcile discrepancies. The end result is I almost always end up paying 14% more, plus interest. My usage has gone down dramatically over the last five years. If they can convolute the system until it's incomprehensible, they can charge you anything they want. We are in the middle of a reconciliation argument (hey guys your busted), I've been getting persistent letters telling me they have to change the meters out.
Most everybody on the planet is trying to screw you up, down and sideways. Trying to keep up with it all, is a full time job. Most people lack the time or ability to do so.
My wifes father (86 years old) just received two bills from separate companies requesting payment for the same service, that was never performed.
Thanks for the heads up.

Last edited:
German business's are all shady. Douche Telecom tried suing me for 2k euro because I tried weekly for 3 months to get them to close my account. every day I went in there and heard "Yeah we'll take care of it".
I PCSed back to the states so :flipoff2: them.
They wouldn't give me anything in writing all I have is there names. which even though this was two years ago I still keep today.

It's much to do, I'm sure, with all of the credit card companies trying to rake in as much as they can before they can't do it by shady means anymore.

I don't recall the particulars of the Credit Card laws that Obama signed a couple of months ago, apart from the small factoid that they apparently take effect next summer, for some odd reason.

I've noted the due dates moving around on a couple of my accounts with no particular rhyme or reason - and I call them to change it. Then, I let them know that a letter to confirm the change is on its way in the next day's post - and yes, I do retain a copy.

Do I think that more government regulation and control of banking is going to help? No, not really. This is the same outfit, mind, that will charge you interest on unpaid taxes if they get there one stinkin' day late - but don't pay you interest if you loan them money over the course of the year.

And I still can't figure out why the organisation that prints the money always wants money back. "Freedom of the Press" always seems to be a vaid option for them - look at the <$800B they're planning on printing now!

German business's are all shady. Douche Telecom tried suing me for 2k euro because I tried weekly for 3 months to get them to close my account. every day I went in there and heard "Yeah we'll take care of it".
I PCSed back to the states so :flipoff2: them.
They wouldn't give me anything in writing all I have is there names. which even though this was two years ago I still keep today.
My wife talks until their ears bleed and then makes them send a FAX before she lets them off the hook.
I'm more of a charge into the office and grab them by the shirtfront type.
Government is worse than the private sector, government is essentially a monopoly.

Last edited:
Another reason to get rid of credit cards and pay everything online. It's hard to be late when you pay the bill before it comes in the mail.
I got a bill the other day on a credit card that has been expired for around four years.

I use Bank of America. They move the due date up a day or two every month. Every six months or so, they scroll it back 10 days(apparently to see if I'm paying attention) Always fun!

Had the same thing happen two years ago with American General.

Bought my kid sister a grandfather clock for her wedding. $2500, six months same as cash.

Bought it the last week of June, they said the first payment would be due the first of August.
Middle of July, I still hadn't seen a bill, so I called. They said it should be there any day.

Another week, nothing. Called again. "Hm, shoulda been there by now. You sure you didn't get it?" "Yes, I'm sure." "Well, give it a couple more days."

Last week of July, nothing. I call again: "Just give me your address, I'll send the payment without the bill."
They read me an address on the other side of town. I say "Forget it, I'll bring it in person." And I did.

Then on Friday the 31st the bill finally shows up. Postmarked the 29th, due the first.
If I had taken it out of the mailbox, enclosed a check, and put it back in the box, it still woulda been late.
(Wouldn't have gone out til Saturday, the due date.)

Fukkers waited til THREE days before the due date to even send the bill, to try to get me to default, and take it in the shorts for almost $700 in interest/fees/penalties.

One more reason I hate banks.

Robert

Sounds like about the same game my water and gas company plays. I prepay on projected usage. They read the meters (peg the usage) at variable intervals (never on the same date twice), use floating rates and then peg the floating rates at intervals of their choice, nobody on the planet really understands the system or exactly how to reconcile discrepancies. The end result is I almost always end up paying 14% more, plus interest. My usage has gone down dramatically over the last five years. If they can convolute the system until it's incomprehensible, they can charge you anything they want. We are in the middle of a reconciliation argument (hey guys your busted), I've been getting persistent letters telling me they have to change the meters out.
Most everybody on the planet is trying to screw you up, down and sideways. Trying to keep up with it all, is a full time job. Most people lack the time or ability to do so.
My wifes father (86 years old) just received two bills from separate companies requesting payment for the same service, that was never performed.
Thanks for the heads up.

Now that is a new one, unless it is a US hospital. US hospitals will bill you 5 times for something they never did.

I got another one. My local city is the water supplier. They mail the bill on the 1st and it is due on the 10th. I use a PO box for my mail which I only check about once a week. They have a late fee that works out to about an 800% annual interest rate (about 6% for being a day late) for being a day late. So I have been overpaying by several dollars each month above my last highest bill, but I have not seen a bill or statement for several years now. Guess they don't want me to know how much they owe me!

Not long ago these crooks would have gone to jail for fraud, loan sharking, etc. Then we decided that we did not need consumer protection regulations, that the market place and free market rule was better.
But BTW,

DrMOab "Another reason to get rid of credit cards and pay everything online. It's hard to be late when you pay the bill before it comes in the mail"

They can still claim they never got the payment, or deposit. The student loan guys are changing servicers every 6 months (old game goes back to early 90s), so that payments and student status can get lost during the servicer switch overs. My sister is fighting with NelNet and Sallie May over that right now, both of them trying to blame the other while they try to nail my sister with late fees, etc for a payment they already got, and cashed. Sallie May mailed her a refund, then canceled the refund before she cashed the check, and on and on. She has written me 10 pages about 40 hours of BS she has been through with them the last 2-3 weeks. She also has found out they are now blocking her phone numbers so she can not reach anyone live on the Nelnet or Sallie May phone. When she borrows a friends phone she gets right in to a live person, then later that phone is blocked too!

Yesterday, I discovered (Thanks to online banking) that Wells Fargo bank never gave me credit for a $1000 check I deposited in the lobby last week. I went back to the bank lobby and got it fixed. Now I have credit for that deposit twice. Seems they fixed their mistake twice, still never got the original credit.

So I guess there is some justice in the universe after all.:worship:

Back