• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Hydraulic handbrake...?

leek

NAXJA Forum User
if someone has put in place the XJ-hydraulic handbrake?
what components are used in?
I have an interest in the thing!

if someone has put in place the XJ-hydraulic handbrake?
Only Hydraulic Type Hand Brakes I have seen are Cutting (Steering) Brakes.

what components are used in?
Do a Search for Cutting Brake. The Thread I started has info on this. http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1001264&highlight=cutting+brake

I have an interest in the thing!

There is a lot of info in the Thread above.
The third one in the Photo can be used for both brake sides at once.

Hope this helps.

131_0707_01_z+cutting_brakes+kit.jpg

Last edited:
Are you talking about a line lock? If so I wouldn't use it for a parking brake as they can bleed down.

That and alot of clubs/Sactioning bodies do not allow "line-locks.Same with alot of states if your vehicle is driven on the road.

leek Location: ESTONIA

I'd think clubs/sanctioning bodies may have different rules/regs in his area.

After reading, and taking into account location...

are you looking to replace the "emergency brake" with a hydraulic setup?

The Single Cylinder Hand Brake (In-Line Staging Brake) is usually used at Drag Races to keep the Front Brakes on while spinning the Rear Tires to heat them up to make them Sticky. Some people use it for other driving needs. I have no idea how it could be used for Parking Brakes.

412-SB-3-4_1.jpg

I want to put the original lever attached to the cylinder, however, whether the Cherokee's own cylinder suitable for this!

No offence intended, leek, but it definitely sounds like English is not your first language.

Do you want to use the existing brake master cylinder? WAIT.... You want to operate the brakes by hand, instead of by foot? I've seen this device, it's used by folks who don't have use of their legs (What Rd here is one of those good people.) The hand lever is used to actuate both the brake lever, and the throttle. It's mounted below the steering column for easy access by the driver's hands.

From what I can make of it is he wants to use the stock hand/parking brake lever in the same location as stock middle of the seats.BUT instead of a cable use the rear brake line that comes off of the prop valve to operate BOTH rear wheel cylinders(calipers if disc brake swap) which I am hinting he has a disc swap and that seems to be a good answer to use the wheel cylinders/calipers as the park brake-hence some people are associating the line lock as a "parking" brake--make sence??

stock hand brake ratcheted up and holding the stock hydraulic system brakes for a parking brake? (with the use of the aftermarket brake cylinder in line)

if that's what he means, I wouldn't think the aftermarket cylinder would have sufficient displacement for all four wheels (although I don't have any specific knowledge) and you might have problems pressurizing the rears without some sort of check valve since the proportioning valve will allow the fluid both directions.

I may be completely off base with that, but I'm in for a better understanding if I'm wrong.

I want to put an hydraulic cylinder behind my Cherokee's handbrake lever and I want to know what car's cylinder fits there. Won't put a special rally part because of high price. Hand brake cables stay in place.

experimentation with various displacement master cylinders should net you one with a reasonable volume for the XJ brakes, but I don't think you can generate nearly enough leverage to stroke a typical M.C. enough to get any quality pressure with the stock hand brake handle. The mechanical advantage of that design is adequate for pulling the cable, but wouldn't be enough to be substituted in place of your leg, higher leverage brake pedal, and a vacuum booster.

Back