• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How to cut lift blocks?

jeeperguy21

NAXJA Forum User
I have a friend that wants to lower his truck and he has a 3" lift block in the rear under his leaf springs. He wants my help in cutting about an inch off the top of the lift block and he expects to be successful in using sawzall metal cutting blades (he bought a bunch just for this purpose.)

Is this an impossible task? He's set on not spending money on the correct height block. These are iron blocks that are the hollowed out kind, so it's not just one solid piece of iron. I'm thinking that a chop saw would be better for this situation, but neither of us have one.

I guess he expects to cut a little less than an inch off and then grind the remaining part off to make it flat again. I don't want to help him out with this unless I feel confident that it will be successful. Your thoughts?

(I don't want any comments on how he should ditch the blocks for leaf springs. This is a question on whether or not the sawzall could successfully be used to cut the block. Thanks)

It will work, you will need a bench vise to ensure the block doesnt move.

However, what your are doing really isn't the smartest idea. The blocks are "designed" to be 3" blocks. I am not sure they intended the end user to hack off another inch. I personally would just spend the 40$ on a 2" RE aal.

Get 2" blocks. The odds of the cut being even so it sits on the diff and the spring right are slim. Then you have to put a locating hole in it.

Whats it going to be, $40 something for new blocks that you can bolt on and go or spend a day cutting, grinding, drilling and hoping everything is right along with the sawzall blade expense.

have fun, post pics.
you can use a flat slab of concrete to mill them flat after the cut.

this has been my positive post of the day.

Last edited:
have fun, post pics.
you can use a flat slab of concrete to mill them flat after the cut.

this has been my positive post of the day.

Feel better now?

Get 2" blocks. The odds of the cut being even so it sits on the diff and the spring right are slim. Then you have to put a locating hole in it.

The locating hole goes almost all the way through to the other side, so that shouldn't be a problem for him. I'm not really going to have any success changing his mind. I've seen people do a lot more work to save a lot less money. :eeks1: I'll have to report on how it goes. He hasn't told me when he wants to get this done.

Well, I think he should section out an inch from the middle, then weld the two sections back together. That would maintain continuity of the mating sufaces, and the integrity of the block should there be any built in taper, and also waste more time and be even more dangerous.

Start over. New block, bastard pack, etc...

Well, if one was bent on doing this, it should probably involve a bandsaw and a milling machine.

But new parts is certainly the best way.

Personally, I would use a high-powered laser to cut the lift blocks into teeny, tiny, indistinguishable pieces, so they could never, ever be re-built, modified, or used again...on this planet, ever.

That's just IMHO.

:dunce:

(I don't want any comments on how he should ditch the blocks for leaf springs. This is a question on whether or not the sawzall could successfully be used to cut the block. Thanks)

Sorry, I'm just a 'hater'...

Last edited:
Personally, I would use a high-powered laser to cut the lift blocks into teeny, tiny, indistinguishable pieces, so they could never, ever be re-built, modified, or used again...on this planet, ever.

That's just IMHO.

:dunce:

Sorry, I'm just a 'hater'...

Classic! Very Funny.

Beware of the consequences...

just sand them down with a block of wood and some sandpaper, you'll stop in about an hour, go down to VatoZone and buy the cheap 2" blocks and drink beer the rest of the time you would be sanding it...

are you still waiting to do this?

sell the dang blocks for $20 and buy the right size.

could have been done 2 days ago.

Considering u should never reuse u bolts... and there 8 bucks a piece individually..4X8=32 and a 2 in block kit with 4 u bolts and 2in blocks is 26.99 at autozone .... go buy the block kit to savemoney on the u bolts but spend all day cutting the old blocks and u could use the old blocks in the truck while u drive to the ER cause the old blck shattered in someones face while trying to cut it.

Ive shattered a 3in block on my K5 blazer 5in springs with 3in blocks and its somthing u never want to do. cutting them will oose what little integraty they do have, besides sel the 3 in on craigs for like 20bucks and make some $$ back.

NO, a sawzall will not make an even cut. Bandsaw or mill only.....if you must.

Be smart, just buy new solid blocks that give you the proper lift, if that's how you choose to lift your rig. Sell your blocks on KSL.com

Back