• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Flat towing MJ with an XJ

I imagine it could be done...I have flat-towed my Jeepster long-distance with my XJ. Not sure how much the MJ weighs, but I've found that braking is a bigger issue than horsepower.
You will need a Class III hitch for the XJ, a tow bar for the MJ(and mounts), and a set of magnet-mount brake lights. Depending on the distance, you might also need a transmission cooler(It's a good idea regardless).

Yep, was curious about distance first. Across town -go for it. Towing on freeway...maybe better to find another friend with a bigger (heavier) tow rig that will STOP the load.

Should be 400 miles one way. It's really my only option unless I feel like renting a 16' truck for $600...

I'm not sure about the MJs weight, but its gotta be pretty damn close.

I'm also aware of the braking issues and will be relatively crawling to the rest of freeway traffic. Unless someone with a heavier tow rig is going down to WV anytime soon its my only option.

I also realized I have the title of the thread backwards, it will be the MJ doing the towing.

Last edited:
If I'm ordering from the Tomken website I would need the following:
Tow bar
tow plate for the XJ, might as well get it with the receiver

and a class III hitch/ball for the MJ.

Sound good?

Depending how many times you plan on flat towing the XJ, this may not be your best option. The brakes on an MJ are weak for the purpose of stopping the combined weights of both vehicles.

If this is a one time occurance, I would look into renting a truck and tow dolly from U-Haul or Penski. The tow dolly will have brakes to compensate for the XJs lack of them.

Ron

I would look into renting a truck and tow dolly from U-Haul or Penski. The tow dolly will have brakes to compensate for the XJs lack of them.

Ron

BE ADVISED uhaul will tell you your mj is too light to tow your xj with the dolley. they wouldnt rent me one to tow my xj w a 1500silverado, had to lie and say it was to tow a s2k...

better safe than sorry, do it as safely as you can afford...

I looked into renting a tow dolly from a rental company, none will rent them since the MJ/XJ is too light, as others have said, and I can't think of any car that is light enough to be towed by their standards. I could pay 600 bucks to rent a truck and a dolly, but this way I'd have all the equipment if I needed to do something like this again.

Last time I rented a Tow Dolly I told them I was towing a VW Bug with no engine in it.

You will want to make sure you have some small tires for the XJ if you do get your hands on a tow dolly, as the hold down straps are pretty short...

Back