• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

8.25 LSD vs 8.8

dagr8tim

NAXJA Forum User
I'm trying to decied on a new rear end for my 97 XJ. Currently, I got a 98 XJ Sport with an 8.25 LSD that I'm planning on parting.

I'm wondering how much of an advantage the 8.8 is over the 8.25. This is going to be a mild trail rig/DD. I'm planning 2 to 3 inches of lift and 31's. I know the 8.8 is stronger, but the 8.25 requires no prep work or regearing.

I'm either going to sell the 8.25 in the hopes of coming close to the cost of an 8.8, or just use it. Which would be better in the long run for the rig I'm considering building.

You already have a good 8.25 with the 29-spline axles, LSD, and the gear ratio you need/are using. I think you should use it, and if it breaks, then get a 8.8.

the 8.8 is a beefy axle, but not bolt in, the 8.25 is strong enough, regear/lock it down the road when you have front axle problems/ambitions.

rob707 runs a 27 spline 8.25 with 37's and he is on fordyce and the rubicon most weekends. thats locked and geared. i think your 31's will hold up to stock gears lsd and a 28 spline just fine.
i wouldnt even consider swapping.

i run a Detroit in a Dana 35 on 31's.... i think you will be OK

I have run a lunchbox-locked 29 spline 8.25 on 31x10.50 TruXs for a few years now. I have pounded the hell out of it...even jumped it a few times and have had zero issues

Strength wise very little difference,this comes up all the time and most like you are using your rig for DD/trail rig duties.the ring gears are close in size,8.8 has a slightly larger axle tube and some are 31 spline vs 29 in 8.25.if your worried slap some alloys in it.bottom line the 8.25 is a durable axle and is starting to gain more after market support and is a direct bolt in.unless you plan on running 36's or larger it's just not worth the hassle involved to install in a xj.

Go 8.25 since you are only going to 31's... If you were going to like 35 or 36 inch tires then the 8.8 makes more sense. Or if you wanted to go deeper gears than 4.56 then the 8.8 also makes sense.

Since you are sticking with the tires that are under 35s and gears that are 4.56 and shallower. The 8.25 is a perfectly good axle for this type of build.

I agree with the above. On anything under 33-35s you will have no fear with a 29 spline 8.25.
The only real advantage you would have with the 8.8 is disc brakes. And heck, for less than the cost you would have in the swap, you could easily do the ZJ discs on your 8.25.
The aftermarket is finally growing for the 8.25, so your better off just sticking with what you got.
I would recommended shaving the lip off the bottom for 31s though. I had one in my old XJ, and hit that thing on a bunch of rocks on 33s until I shaved it. It's amazing what about 1/2" will do!

I agree with the above. On anything under 33-35s you will have no fear with a 29 spline 8.25.
The only real advantage you would have with the 8.8 is disc brakes. And heck, for less than the cost you would have in the swap, you could easily do the ZJ discs on your 8.25.
The aftermarket is finally growing for the 8.25, so your better off just sticking with what you got.
I would recommended shaving the lip off the bottom for 31s though. I had one in my old XJ, and hit that thing on a bunch of rocks on 33s until I shaved it. It's amazing what about 1/2" will do!

I think I'm sold on keeping the 8.25. I may do a zj rear disk swap.

zj rear disk swap on the 8.25 is easy and cheap. it was more of a pain on my 44 . you can get brackets at the jy for cheap and i used the jy calipers. including getting the 44 bearings and tj reatainers mine was under 330$ since you dont need the bearings and seals pressed on for the tj plates you will save about 160$ so your cost will be about 60-90$ for the calipers/brackets/hard and soft lines/ebrake stuff/ 25$ each for new rotors and 25$ for pads and some grinding bits. bleed brakes and done. i used a combo of the 44 hard lines with the zj soft lines and the pass side zj hard line.

I put an 8.8 under my Jeep. I'm running 31's.

Reason?
I want to overbuild this Jeep so when I do decide to go 35's, I can throw em on without worrying too much.
PLUS the 8.8 has disc brakes and 4.10 gears. It was either regear my 8.25 or put some new mounts onto the 8.8 and swap it under.

I got my 2005 8.8 for $100 with LS, discs and 4.10 gears. THe decision was pretty clearcut for me.

Back