• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

99 TJ AX-15 in a 92 XJ

LaredoBucket

NAXJA Forum User
Hello All,

I was wondering if anyone can tell me if a 99 TJ AX-15 will work in a 92 XJ without any modifications. I got a really good deal on a rebuilt tranny from Collins Brothers Jeep for $500, but it is an AX-15 for a 99 TJ. I'm hoping all I have to do is slap on my old Bell Housing & Transfer Case and slap the sucker in. Help!

You should not even have to change bellhousings, but the transfer case is going to be clocked "flatter" than in the XJ. This would result in the need to "hammer clearance" the transmission tunnel to make the transfer case fit - which isn't really a bad idea, if you want to flatten the belly of your rig.

If you have an XJ/MJ AX-15 adapter housing, it's a simple swap.

Also, quickly check the pilot diameters on the old and new transmissions. The early AX-15 pilots were down around 5/8", and the later ones around 7/8" - you may need to change bushings.

I'd suggest you keep the "external" bellhousing on the later AX-15, and change your hydraulics to suit - it's easier to service that way. You can swap bellhousings to keep the internal slave (also swap the intput shaft bearing retailer, as it's different,) but why? That's like going out of your way to step in crap...

Thank you for the quick response. The tranny that I bought is only the core with no bell housing and Adapter housing/transfer case. My XJ is a 2WD. So it is basically a swap. But my question is. Do the 92 AX-15 and the 99 TJ AX-15 have the same pilot diameters?

The front bearing retainer/input shaft bearing retainer is the bit that is screwed to the front of the case, and the input shaft sticks out through it.

The "internal slave" (AX-15i) version is more or less flat, with a little nub to retain the TO bearing/slave cylinder assembly (I hate those things!)

The "external slave" (AX-15e) version has the same shape as the other, but also has a tube that extends around part of the input shaft. The TO bearing rids on this tube - it keeps it located, and keeps the bearing from riding directly on the shaft (and suffering accelerated wear.)

The bellhousings will swap either way, so that's no trouble.

Note that the 2WD and 4WD versions of these transmissions are different - the 2WD has a tailcone housing and a longer mainshaft. Disassembly and overhaul is required to convert, as the mainshaft will require replacement (the input shaft, countershaft, and case are otherwise the same.) You can't just stick a transfer case adapter housing on a 2WD version and make it a 4WD - the tailshaft will be about six inches too long!

I think the comment that is confusing you is "re-drill" or "re-bore" - he probably use "re-clock" (without the l) and got caught in the word censor. This can get in the way, as there are some perfectly legitimate words that can get caught in the word censor and screw up the meanings (brand names, part names, and the like.)

Wow! that's good to know, especially after I bought the transmission. :( I don't want to go from 2WD to 4WD, I want to keep my XJ 2WD.

I do what I can to help.

If you end up swapping out that front bearing retainer, and not using the collared (external slave) one, I'd like to talk to you about relieving you of it...

How could I tell is my new tranny is 2WD or 4WD? I wouldn't mind helping you out with the bearing retainer.

If you have the tailcone with no transfer case mounting flange, it's a 2WD. If you have the short adapter housing with the tcase flange, it's a 4WD.

I don't recall the tailshaft lengths for each version, but it can be easily determined. Measure from the end of the output shaft to the rear case body (not the tailcone/tcase housing, but the point where that joins to the main case) and compare. If you would be so kind, please note the measurement(s) and let me know, so I can add that to my notebooks as well.

The 2WD tailshaft will be longer than the 4WD - the 4WD is shortened to make up for some of the additional length added by the transfer case proper.

Yep! My new tranny is definately a 4WD. :( I should have done some more home work. Good thing I haven't tried putting it in. I guess I'll put it up for sale. If anybody knows somebody in need of an Rebuilt 4WD AX-15 in the Los Angeles area please send them my way. haha

I would love to have 4WD but then i would have buy a rear axle, front axle and transfer case. That's more money then I have at moment. Plus I hear it's easier to buy a car that already has 4WD. I don't do rock crawling, I mostly trail around in the desert.

Yep! My new tranny is definately a 4WD. :( I should have done some more home work. Good thing I haven't tried putting it in. I guess I'll put it up for sale. If anybody knows somebody in need of an Rebuilt 4WD AX-15 in the Los Angeles area please send them my way. haha

IF I werent planning to go to Moab in October... I would probably take the AX-15 off your hands.....

Back