• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

D44 Shock mount

justin_502

NAXJA Forum User
I just put new shocks on the rear of my XJ with the D44. On the right shock mount (stock) It is pointed up much higher then the left. And after I put the new shocks on, There is mabey 3 more inches of shaft showing on the shock on the left. Did I spin my axle tube? Or is this how the D44 is set up? And if so is there a way to put it back streight and weld it?

How much lift are you running? SYE? Shims to direct your pinion at the t-case? Since the shocks are mounted one front one rear, as you rotate the axle to point the pinion at the yoke, you also are rotating the shock mounts, one higher, one lower.

The 6* shims are responsible for having rotated your shock mounts. If you have your driveline and pinion angles dialed in and don't plan on changing your shims again, go ahead and cut the shock mounts off and reweld them level with the ground.

It would be a good opportunity to relocate them so they're not hanging down below the axle as well. Should have probably done this before getting new shocks though as it shortens up the overall shock length a few inches.

The 6* shims are responsible for having rotated your shock mounts. If you have your driveline and pinion angles dialed in and don't plan on changing your shims again, go ahead and cut the shock mounts off and reweld them level with the ground.

It would be a good opportunity to relocate them so they're not hanging down below the axle as well. Should have probably done this before getting new shocks though as it shortens up the overall shock length a few inches.
X2

Ya looking at it now that does look like the problem. I got 12" travel shocks, Mabey ill move the bottom mount up a bit for more clearence and the top over, to get a better angle and be able to still use the long shocks.

you may be able to relocate the shock mounts and still use your current shocks, but check your bump stops. A few years back I had about 5" of lift on mine with relocated shock mounts, and 3" lift shocks. The stock bumpstops were useless with that combo, as the shocks bottomed out hard before the bump stop did anything. It was a real kidney buster.

Back