• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Expedition Transmission Slipping

Blazair

NAXJA Forum User
OK since NAXJA SoCal is the best...even on non-XJ tech.
My 2003 Ford Expedition 2WD Eddie Bauer 5.4 V8 ~130k miles
Transmission started slipping on Saturday. Only slips in OD. Push on the gas and the RPMs clmb, but no acceleration. Only happens in OD. If I lock out OD, it works just fine. Fluid is good.
Tell me doc, is she gonna live?

throw some lucas transmission fix in there. sounds like you burned up the clutch packs, usually caused by climbing hills in OD (how my wife blew up my XJ lol)

the lucas trans fix has alot of friction modifiers in it (like a posi unit additive) that will help make the fluid a little more sticky and take up the slack. its a bandaid but it should help alot.

While you are under the hood check the fluid condition if it's brown or smells burnt I would try a fluid change and some Lucas like Grimm said.That being said the longer you drive it in that condition the more it will cost to fix when you take it in.

hey justin...you wanna do head gaskets on my 99 expedition AWD?

Back