• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Budget stock shocks for BB ?

Rmart30

NAXJA Forum User
Looking to put on a 2" BB on my 94 XJ. It needs new shocks anyway,does anyone know of stock shocks off another vehicle that will work on a BB?
I seem to recall seeing a post a while back where someone had found some that were 2-3" longer and would work on the BB XJ's.

Or you could head down to O'Reillys and grab 4 monroe blue cheapies. It would run you less than $90 with tax. BUT you need to go to the monroe site and look at their shock list and find the ones that are 2-3'' longer than stock. They won't be listed for XJ but just grab part numbers

I used older Wrangler shocks for the front, and 97 Dakota rears. I used the rear sway bar end brackets as bar pin eliminators for the rear upper, and the lower bushings were just a hair larger, so they were a tight fit on the mounting bolt. I made BPE's for the front out of angle iron I had laying around. They have been on for 2 years and still ride good.

ive previously read that 07-09 JK RUBICON oem shocks work for about 3-5" of lift on a cherokee, and my RE 3.5" super ride kit is on its way, so i just got all 4 oem mopar shocks off a 2009 wrangler rubicon with about 200 miles on them for $88 shipped off ebay. i believe the rubicons have a 2" lift compared to the base models, so oem base JK shocks would be for 1-3" of lift on a cherokee, right??? but i dont think they would be over $200, i would assume they would work on a 2" (ish) BB though.

i just put JK shocks on my 92, i heard that the base and the rubicon were the same, rubicons are red. thats the ones i got for 40$ locally about 500 miles on them. anyways
you have to press out the lower sleeves on the front and put in Bar pins, and the back you have to pres sout the lower sleeves
but thats it
i have about 1.5 inches of lift, it was a tight fit, im goign to about 2.5 soon.

MJ rears, YJ shocks unknown lift but are bigger, TJ fronts are good for 3" of lift, JK for an inch or two. 70's chevy P/U lines are quite longer then XJ lines are direct bolt on, incase your brake lines arent long enough. ;)

those should work, I got the jk rubicon ones for fifty they were dealer takeoffs and I got them from someone at the dealership...

dont just check ebay check craigslist and other local classified ad listings too.

those should work, I got the jk rubicon ones for fifty they were dealer takeoffs and I got them from someone at the dealership...

dont just check ebay check craigslist and other local classified ad listings too.
yeah i looked everywhere. i bought those, 47 shipped so I'm happy. I didnt see any for less than $90 anywhere else.

Use ZJ UpCountry Monroe Sensatrac front shocks instead of the YJ shocks. They bolt right in and are exactly 3" longer. Front ZJ UpCountry Sensatrac shock part #37193, 13.375" compressed and 24.250" extended. For comparison, stock front XJ Sensatrac shock part #37083, is 13.250" compressed and 21.125" extended. Having used YJ front Monroe Sensatracs (#37120, 14.5" C/24.375" E), they have a sleeve in the bottom bushing instead of a barpin, so you have to press the sleeve out and put in a barpin or BPE to get them to work. Too much work for the same extended length of the ZJ shock, and you lose 1" compressed length using the YJ instead of the ZJ UC shock.

Use 1986-92 Jeep Comanche Monroe Sensatrac part #37029, which is 14.375" compressed and 23.000" extended. For comparison, stock rear XJ Sensatrac shock part #37027, is 12.750" compressed and 20.000" extended. The rear ZJ Monroe Sensatracs have a sleeve in the bottom and top bushings and no barpin for the top, so you have to press the sleeves out and put in a barpin or BPE in the top bushing to get them to work and the bottom bushing after removing the sleeve is an extremely tight fit installing onto the axle shock mount stud. The 37029 doesn't have the sleeves to press out, which saves a lot of time, and the bottom bushing fits right onto the axle mount just like the stock shock bushing, but you would still need to use a barpin or BPE for the top bushing.

From: http://www.rocklizardfabrications.com/home_brew_budget_boost.htm

just order all 4 monroe sensatracks off rockauto for $100 shipped. they have the 37027 on factory closeout for $19./ea. they have 10 left when i ordered 2. they will be going on my xj that im doing a homebrew BB on to replace my beat ass RE BB

Back