• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Summer Build-Up

FallibleXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Hey folks, just thought I'd share.

Specs:
97' XJ, 4.0, 5-spd, RE 3.5", BFG 31 ATs on stock wheels

This summer I decided most of my funds would go into getting bumpers/sliders. Other things came up before so I got a little delayed sadly (had to replace my brakes and cat). Anyways, after shopping around a bit I decided I wanted some JCR armor. I really liked the look and they seem to get excellent reviews here on the boards. The sliders were the first to some in, and then the front bumper (both a little behind schedule, but w/e). The rear bumper is currently on its way to me so I will update then.

Before the JCR goodies arrived I got my hands on some new seats, since the old ones were getting a little old, and truly I really wanted an adjustable headrest. So I found some WJ seats on CL for $50 in perfect condition. Let me say, I love them party1:

imgp0419k.jpg

I also decided to move my CB radio to the overhead console. I really like the mounting location, there easy access to power and the Coax can be ran through the headliner without fear of kinks.

imgp0358a.jpg

Some JCR stage 2 slider:

img0003wou.jpg

JCR Stage 3 Prerunner bumper

imgp0430c.jpg

I did not know originally that the horns were attached to the bumper as well as the vacuum reservoir. Relocating them wouldn't have been a big issue...but I broke the reservoir while removing everything...not sure how. So I had to fashion a new one. I happened to have PVC pipe sitting around so I fashioned one out of that. All of this was mounted/moved under the front bumper, shielded by the engine skid. Now, I haven't seen people do this (granted I didn't really look hard) so I was curious if anyone sees any faults.

imgp0428o.jpg

And heres the heep as it stands today:

imgp0435m.jpg

I'll update when I get the stage 3 rear (which just shipped today...just under a month behind schedule)

Eventually a new rear axle will be thrown in :), though I can't decide between a built 8.8 or D44

Thank ya :D

Nice Job :).

those WJ seats look great - how hard was it to fit the to the factory rails? I have heard they bolt up but also they "bolt up" as well...

UPDATE: 8/17/09

Okay folks, just about done now. I got the rear bumper on over the weekend. I had a bit of a disappointment with this, UPS managed to drop it in shipping and put a dent in a corner (a cosmetic corner) on the drivers side. There were also some fitment issues which I may address at a later date. The top of the bumper rubs on the hatch a little bit so I am going to try dropping the bumper 1/32" or so. Anyways, its on:

Anyways, part of the installation has you cut up the rear bumper end caps right where it would meet the bumper. However this leaves a lip sticking about 1/4" or more between the plastic and the body. I did not like this. So I took them completely off.

The plastic end caps are held on with a bracket that is riveted to the body. I tried drilling them out but it wasn't really working, I eventually got them out but I was left with 6 3/8" holes in the body panels. I ground them smooth and bondo'd them in and repainted over. The drivers side I was kinda lazy on because I found out my parents had been hit by a nun when the jeep was brand new so there was a dent there. The passenger side turned out pretty decent (especially for about 45mins of work for both sides)

Drivers (you can see the dent UPS made under the light):

Passenger:
imgp0439.jpg

Im going to trim up the fenders where the end caps used to be to get rid of that slightly awkward edge (cut a couple inches off int hat section)

Overall all of the JCR products are awesome. UPS really is to blame for the dent :evil:

Back