• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Removing stock exhaust

okcjeeper

NAXJA Forum User
I'm going to replace the stock exhaust system on my 99 this weekend. I am replacing my cracked manifold, cat, and cat back with an APN header, dynomax cat, and dynomax cat-back. I noticed that the stock exhaust uses u-bolts. My question is whether or not any of the components are welded in addition to the u-bolts. I am particularly concerned about removing the cat if it is welded. Does the cat connect directly to the down tube, or is there an additional piece of tubing between the cat and down pipe? I figure if any of the components are welded, I might run into some problems removing the old system doing it myself.

Basically, I am hoping that I can remove the cat from the downpipe with minimal damage to the down pipe. Possible without cutting? Will some muscle and a rubber mallet work?

Thanks

If you are replacing everything, why are you worried about getting things apart. Just cut it all out with a sawzall and be done with it. If you need ta save a certain section, cut it out past where you need it, then do the detail work in a more comfortable position, i.e. not under the jeep.

1996cc said:
If you are replacing everything, why are you worried about getting things apart. Just cut it all out with a sawzall and be done with it.

Well, I am not replacing the downtube. If I were to cut the cat off from the downtube, would that not shorten the length and therefore cause fitment problems for the rest of the exhaust?

not sure about def answer to the length issue,
my question is,
if you are doing all these mods because they need replacing thats fine. if you ware hoping to get any performance from the new header than replacing the downpipe is a must. if you can have the jeep off the road for a day, take your old downpipe to someone who will bend you a new one with madrel bends...
when I installed my new cat bak I felt a dif, but a week later with the header installed I got nothing... realized how restrictive the stock downpipe was and had a new one made... and it made mucho difference.
my 97's downpipe was not welded to the header, and it wasn't welded to the cat bak systerm. flange at the top, u-bolt at the cat. depending on the header tho it may use a u-bolt instead.

Back