• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

95-96 D30 Changes (unibearing, abs)

gregmondro

NAXJA Forum User
Hi guys. Been outta the Jeep game for a while. Used to have a 99 on 35s running a Rubicon 5.5" kit with trimming, sye, d44 rear, 4.56s, locked, etc.

Anywho, not having a Jeep for a while, I picked up a cheap 1996 last week. The front d30 had the control arm mounts bent and some torn off, so I just replaced the entire thing.

I replaced the front end on my 1996 with one out of a 1995. The problem was that the unibearing was missing from this one on the passengers side, so I swapped the one on the 96 front end over to it and put everything back together.

I go look at it this morning and it looks like there is fluid coming out of that side axle tube and I'm wondering if it's possible that the 96 unibearing isnt compatible with the 95 d30 axle.

The 1996 front end had ABS while this 1995 I replaced it with doesnt. I used the same non-abs shaft out of the 95 front end (but with the 96 unibearing). It all seemed to go together fine, but could this be the problem?

when i swapped my knuckle for a high steer i had the same problem. turns out that when i had the inner axle out a little gear oil had seaped into the tube and after a day or so it quit leaking out. it could be that your inner seal on the newer axle is bad though... i'd give it a day or so and see what happens.

I didn't swap the knuckle though, just the unibearing.

edit: doh brain fart. I see what you mean. It's a possibility. Any other ideas?

If it is the wrong unit bearing the brakes would be binding. In mid 99 they changed the unit bearing and the brake rotor. You can use either bearing or rotor on the D30, but they have to be used together (i.e. newer rotor and hub on older D30)

right but did you take the inner axle out?

Yeah, the inner shaft was pulled out a little already when I pulled the whole front end at the junkyard and then again when I pulled it entirely to install the new hub. You're thinking the seal was probably torn right?

talyn said:
If it is the wrong unit bearing the brakes would be binding. In mid 99 they changed the unit bearing and the brake rotor. You can use either bearing or rotor on the D30, but they have to be used together (i.e. newer rotor and hub on older D30)
Then that doesn't look like it's the problem as the brakes aren't binding.

Last edited:
Then that doesn't look like it's the problem as the brakes aren't binding.[/QUOTE]
and both axles are pre99... just give it a day or so.

Then that doesn't look like it's the problem as the brakes aren't binding.
and both axles are pre99... just give it a day or so.[/QUOTE]

I didn't swap any axles. The only thing changed was a 96 hub was put on a 95 housing (complete with 95 axles, etc)

:)

Every time I have pulled one of my front axles to change a u-joint i have had a bit of gear oil seep out. usually after a day it stops.

While the axle is out I usually clean any debris out the tube also. Its helps in keeping the axle seals good. Those little plastic covers that go on the end of the tube are useless and I can't afford to put those shiny alloy seals in at the end of the tubes.

Back