• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Recommended stock-diameter AT/MT tires?

anthrax323

NAXJA Forum User
Hey everyone,

I'm beginning to realize the stock Goodyear Wrangler RT/S tires on my Cherokee are near the end of their lives and in need of replacement (not to mention they'd be almost useless on the trail). I'm planning a lift down the road (at which point I'll be going for 31x10.5s), but in the mean time I'd like to buy some tires to hold me over until then.

What AT/MT tires would you guys recommend? I'm looking for something reasonably priced with a somewhat aggressive tread, good highway manners, and competence on the trail, and most importantly, tires that will fit my stock XJ without any lift (or rubbing while flexed).

What are you guys' thoughts?

BFGoodrich All Terrains are your best bet.

I've heard good things about Bridgestone Duellers but can't remembe which ones they are.

I used to run Pirelli Scorpion ATs on my 98 Explorer XLT V8. They were awesome in the snow, mud and backroads, not to mention incredible on-road handling. They were cheap ($110 a piece at sears) but only lasted me 25k miles becuase of alignment and lack of rotating.

Check out www.tirerack.com for reviews, prices, etc.

I think it might be important to assess how far 'down the road' you want to go before you lift it.

With a ballpark tread life of 50,000 miles for most any a/t, would you feel comfortable putting only a few thousand miles on a set of brand new tires you're only going to replace?

I believe if you're serious about lifting your rig, there is merit in looking into used tires at this stage. Not only will you save an unnecessary expense, but chances are you'll score 4 very good tires (50-75% remaining tread life) at a fraction of the cost.

Call any NTB/Sears/or discount tire shop in your area, and they can give you quotes on their 'used' stock as well as what they can get from their other locations.

Just something to think about...

Thanks for all the input... It looks like at the sizes I'm going for, just about everything I'm considering (aside from BFG M/Ts) are in the ~$130/pop range, plus or minus $15. At this point, if new tires are in my future, I think I'm leaning toward the Goodyear DuraTrac (seems to have gotten relatively astounding feedback thus far).

theNAST1EST - You raise a very good point. First thing tomorrow I'm going to start calling around. I honestly want to track down some of the 16x8 Moab wheels from a pre-2007 Wrangler Rubicon (ideally with the stock Goodyear MT/Rs) but pickings seem to be quite slim this time of year. During the winter I was able to find 2-3 sets on my local Craigslist at any given time, but not so much now...

Thanks again guys!

Look at the Uniroyal "Liberator" at Wal-Mart, if still offered. I've owned my XJ since new in 1989. In that time, I've tried an array of tires. Without a doubt, this tire is the best I've ever had on my Cherokee. I run 235/75-15s, but they have enough grip you'd could probably drop down to 215/75/15s.

I've had the Firestone Destination A/T also. Quiet and nice handling on the street and surprisingly good off road. I went 235/70 15 for stock diameter and wider tread. 235/75 is a bit taller than stock but will fit without problems, I'll get them next time.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Firestone&tireModel=Destination+A/T

TireRack price about $100- ea. either size.

I've got those on my jeep, had 'em about a year and a half, almost 40,000 miles on them, quiet, good in the sand/mud for what I do. And good wearing for the miles I've put on them.

Mark

I concur on the Bridgestone Duellers - I just got a set of them almost brand new for ultra cheap, and they are pretty impressively good on-road, at least compared to my previous Michelin MTS M+S that came with the thing. I've only tried them on dry+wet pavement so far but they're definitely better - I have to actually try to make them spin out, instead of worrying about it.

I think my next set will probably be Goodyear MT/Rs, but I haven't really decided yet.

I've got the Bridgestone Dueller REVOs on my '00 and am not overly impressed. They have nearly 50,000 miles on them (tread depths is still OK), but they have been terrribly difficult to keep balanced.

My next set of tires will be BFGs.

Back