• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Colorado Adventure 2009

IntrepidXJ

NAXJA Member #647
Foreward: I took a ton of photos on this trip, so this thread is going to become very picture heavy. You are warned if you are on a slow connection ;) I will be updating this thread as I have a chance to go through the photos. Enjoy!

-------------------------------

I arrived back home yesterday after spending the last nine days exploring the backroads of Colorado. My original plan was to head out by myself, but it turned out that Amanda had a few vacation days she needed to take before the end of the month, so she ended up joining me for the first four days, and then again for the last two. Since she was with me for the first four days, we decided to make our base camp at Chalk Creek Campground in Nathrop. Our first day was spent driving from Grand Junction to Nathrop on a couple of different trails with a little pavement in between.....which ended up taking most of the daylight hours, even with an early start to the day.

Day 1: Grand Junction to Taylor Park

We started out by taking Kebler Pass over to Crested Butte. This is a nice easy road that offers some great views of the West Elk Mountains. I've driven this road a number of times, so we flew through it pretty quickly.

I did stop for an early morning photo
IMG_4822.JPG

....and at the pass
IMG_4824.JPG

After topping off my gas tank in Crested Butte, it was off to Taylor Park by way of the Reno Divide / Italian Creek trail.

IMG_4834.JPG

IMG_4837.JPG

Once we reached the Reno Divide (I opted to skip the 'old' Reno Divide section this trip and will save that for another time), we started our way down along Italian Creek towards Taylor Park.

IMG_4842.JPG

IMG_4845.JPG

IMG_4853.JPG

IMG_4854.JPG

Day 1: Taylor Park to Leadville

After arriving in Taylor Park, we could have easily driven over Cottonwood Pass and have been in Nathrop pretty quickly, but my goals were a little more ambitious for that first day ;) Instead we headed north towards Aspen via Taylor Pass.

IMG_4917.JPG

IMG_4921.JPG

This was the most difficult section on the trail.
IMG_4927.JPG

IMG_4932.JPG

IMG_4938.JPG

Climbing up to the pass
IMG_4944.JPG

IMG_4946.JPG

Day 1: Mosquito Pass

After reaching Leadville via Hangerman Pass, there was still some daylight yet, and I felt like making the trek over Mosquito Pass....so we headed east on 7th St. and made our way towards the 13,185 foot pass.

Passed some old mining ruins along the way to the pass.

IMG_5007.JPG

IMG_5009.JPG

IMG_5010.JPG

IMG_5012.JPG

Headed towards Mosquito Pass.
IMG_5015.JPG

IMG_5024.JPG

Rocky switchback.
IMG_5028.JPG

Narrower road near the top.
IMG_5035.JPG

I liked the reflection in my windshield in this photo.
IMG_5041.JPG

The mandatory photo of the sign.
IMG_5038.JPG

Headed down towards Alma Junction.
IMG_5044.JPG

Shadows growing long.
IMG_5046.JPG

The sun hidden behind the mountain
IMG_5048.JPG

A familiar name on old mining equipment at the North London Mill
IMG_5058.JPG

IMG_5059.JPG

IMG_5063.JPG

Once we reached alma Junction, we hopped on the pavement and made our way to Nathrop. Surprisingly we made it to Chalk Creek Campground and got our tent and campsite setup just before it got completely dark out. It was a long first day, but we enjoyed it.

Day 2, to be continued...

Day 2: Williams & Tomichi

Day two was another early start. I was looking forward to this day. The main reason for planning my trip in August this year was so that I could run Williams Pass (which is only open for the month of August each year), so that trail was first on the agenda.

Of course, I did need to stop in St. Elmo on our way to Williams Pass for a few photos ;)
IMG_5070.JPG

IMG_5078.JPG

...and I can't ever seem to drive by the Allie Belle without stopping for a photo, either!
IMG_5083.JPG

...but I did finally make it to the trailhead for Williams Pass
IMG_5087.JPG

IMG_5089.JPG

IMG_5092.JPG

IMG_5095.JPG

The start of the trail in the trees
IMG_5097.JPG

IMG_5128.JPG

The final descent down to the Alpine Tunnel Road
IMG_5131.JPG

Heading back over 'the palisades' on the Alpine Tunnel Road
IMG_5134.JPG

After completing Williams Pass it was time for another trail that I have not been on before because the last two times I tried, there were snow drifts blocking the trail.....so we made our way over to the start of Tomichi Pass.

IMG_5142.JPG

IMG_5145.JPG

IMG_5148.JPG

Narrow road up to the pass
IMG_5150.JPG

IMG_5154.JPG

Day 2: Marshall to Weston Pass

After finishing up Tomichi Pass at US Highway 50, we headed east a short ways towards Sargents and turned off to follow the old railroad grade over Marshall Pass.

Start of Marshall Pass
IMG_5194.JPG

Easy road the whole way
IMG_5200.JPG

IMG_5201.JPG

An old foundation at the pass
IMG_5205.JPG

We stopped and had some lunch up there
IMG_5209.JPG

Headed back down to meet up with US Highway 285
IMG_5216.JPG

We finished up earlier than planned, so we had plenty of time to check out a few more trails. We made our way north towards Fairplay to check out Browns and Breakneck Passes.
IMG_5221.JPG

In the trees at the starts of Browns Pass
IMG_5223.JPG

Headed back down
IMG_5265.JPG

IMG_5267.JPG

IMG_5271.JPG

Instead of hopping back on the highway, we took a right and headed west over Weston Pass
IMG_5279.JPG

IMG_5283.JPG

IMG_5282.JPG

Some storm coulds in the distance
IMG_5287.JPG

IMG_5290.JPG

It rained for a short time but cleared up quickly
IMG_5292.JPG

Soon we were back on the highway headed south. We ended up stopping at Jan's in Buena Vista for some dinner before heading back to camp for the night. It was another great day.

That's it for Day 2. Day 3 to come....

Back