• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

OK Fab style gas tank skid

CanMan

NAXJA Forum User
I wouldnt consider this AdFab as its simple to make really, so its going in here. So Friday was kinda slow at work so I built a gas tank skid after lunch for my 98XJ. Took about 2.5 hours. Here are some pics, they are worse than the Doc's. John took maybe 2 with his digital camera.

Started off by squaring a sheet of 1/8".

Photo-0158.jpg

Sanded down the hitch to weld to.

Photo-0159.jpg

Notched the end of the sheet so it would fit around the hitch.

Photo-0160.jpg

Photo-0161.jpg

Took it over to the 4 post and bent it so it would conture the gas tank. Jason tacked it while I held it in place.

Photo-0162.jpg

I cut out and bent up some side peices, bent them on the 4 post rack, tacked them in, and dropped the skid back down.

Photo-0163.jpg

Photo-0164.jpg

Photo-0165.jpg

Where ever you see the stitch welds, it is fully welded on the opposite side.

Photo-0166.jpg

Photo-0167.jpg

Added some probably un-necessary braces.

Photo-0168.jpg

I dont have any pics of it on the rig yet. I may plate the bottom with another sheet of 1/8"just cause I can? May add some more strenght and make it live a little longer. Might also brace the side supports better as well, they are only 1/8" too.

More pics when its completly done and on the rig.

Full credit of this design goes to Okie Terry. :D

personally, i think it looks gay, and you would be better off with a stock OEM skid...

witch reminds me.. i have a stock OEM skid i'll trade ya?...

Will you need to re enforce the sides at all? Looks like that may be a weak point but what do I know?

Nice. I forgot all about Okie Terry's skid like that. Looks like I'm going to have to do some copycatting here soon.

They'll get another layer of 1/8". Have a bunch of it laying around so its free.

Sweet... I wish I had a bunch of free 1/8" layin around... :laugh3:

Finished it up finally and got it on the rig.

Bent out a peice of angle iron and added a lip to the front of it to go past the tank. Its fully welded on the back side.

Photo-0180.jpg

Then added another sheet of bent 1/8" for the sides.

Photo-0179.jpg

Beautiful. :D

Photo-0181.jpg

Nice. I forgot all about Okie Terry's skid like that. Looks like I'm going to have to do some copycatting here soon.

Yup, Terry builds them very much the same!! I would say there is a little copy catting goin on :D Nice job!!

Back