• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

84 XJ clutch not engaging/disengaging

Fungus2021

NAXJA Forum User
Still having issues with this clutch install and could really use some help.

Put a new clutch and master cylinder in and when we start up the jeep and push in the clutch(clutch has pressure) it wont shift into gear. My friends and I are stumped, I could really use some help.

Thanks...

Still having issues with this clutch install and could really use some help.

Put a new clutch and master cylinder in and when we start up the jeep and push in the clutch(clutch has pressure) it wont shift into gear. My friends and I are stumped, I could really use some help.

Thanks...

Slave cylinder may be bad. I had the same problem a day after the new MC and clutch install. The slave cylinder was bad. Also had to bleed it twice, IIRC, before replacing the SC.

If all hydraulics look good, check for bent parts in pedal mechanism. My son's 96 had this (and it ate up a master cylinder), and as I recall, Naxja member Ghost, a few years ago, went through a long and exhaustive process trying to get his clutch to work before finding a bent bracket.

Gotta love those bent problems!

Interesting.

Back