• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

The New P.O.S.

knockedout88xj

NAXJA Forum User
I just got a 1987 xj with 265,000 and alot of problems, i plan on fixing it up and making it my weekend warrior. I have done a little bit already...such as valve cover gasket.

SSPX1390.jpg

SSPX1391.jpg

The old valve cover was dirty ass he11 so i cleaned all the ports and hose's goin to it.
SSPX1392.jpg

SSPX1393.jpg

then i did the diff cover,it leaked about a pint a day
SSPX1361.jpg

SSPX1363.jpg

This is the pic. when i bought it.
OGjeep2.jpg

OGjeep4.jpg

and now a little while later the rims,grille, and some of the body is painted.
SSPX1357.jpg

SSPX1394.jpg

SSPX1412.jpg

I plan to put 3" lift spring pack from rustys 31" custom front and rear bumpers,rock sliders,hood vents, t.b. spacer, snorkel, and a 95'h.o. exhaust manifold to start. Tell me what ya think, and its ok to be honest,lol.

I can't see the pics but grats on the new wheels :)

Also this would be better suited for the non-tech forum or your chapter

she a 400lbs woman didnt pay me but i got it off he for $550 lil did i know he weight over time broke the driver side top leaf,lol

As for the wheels i did that with a can of flat black paint.just took em of and taped them.

Lol I ment the entire vehicle by wheels not just your wheels :)

looks like mother nature performed the rear cut portion of a cut-n-fold for you already! clean up the body line and fold the other side to match!

Chop the top. Throw a HO motor in it and a 8.25. Lift it higher trim the fenders. get bigger tires. Then it will be a weekend warrior.

EDIT: in the pic i see that one of the leafs is just hanging off. HAHA

I would remove the sway bars, weld the front and rear diffs. make half doors or remove the doors completely, cut the heck out of the fenders, stuff a set of used 33's underneath it, put skid plates on it (front, transfer case and fuel cell). Waterproof everything possible on it, gut the interior and rhino line it. If it has A/C take all that crap off and put an air compressor in it, weld a roof rack on the front half of the roof, chop the roof from behind the front seats and make a roll cage and soft top for it. If your trailering it...just replace parts as they break w/ better stronger parts of course, test the limits of those factory parts.

It would be cool to see you do a high travel set-up on it w/ like a 6'' lift. Or just a high travel set up w/ whatever lift you want. I would stay away from the throttle body spacer...It doesn't help enough to really spend the money on it. I used it accompanied w/ the accel ignition coil and I did gain about 2 mpg's...but it's not for performance so much. If your careful enough I've seen people take their intakes off and sand them by hand to "bore them" along w/ the throttle body, which did help... Run some sea foam in it before you do a tune-up and clean that engine out. If your state allows it gut the cat and just have a shell. Make us at NAXJA proud my son...

YOU ONLY LIVE ONCE, EXPERIMENT A LITTLE!
...that's what she said...

it wouldn't be a trail rig if you didn't do something stupid.

Last edited:
right on man, its a lil past my budget but thats what a barn and time is for, plus i was planning on buyin a new dd cause this isnt the most reliable. so ill buy a honda and save all the gas money i would have spent on the jeep and put it back into the jeep, just in a more productive way,lol

So i did some work on the jeep, i started to cut the fenders out and i disconnected the front sway bar links, and retried the stump in my back yard, and to my suprise i made it all the way( about 2feet) not bad for stock, but the new plans are 2inch. lift and 30's and alot of sheet metal, figured i'd do small but effective.
SSPX1423.jpg

Back