• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Sad story today, Boy, 11, dies while stranded in Death Valley

thats awful news. Wondering if she was just wanting to explore or why she would go that route

Very sad, As Rollins said I can't think of a reason to be deep in the desert this time of year, if I had to be there I'd only go with several vehicles for backup and too much water. The saddest thing is I'm sure the kid had a "responsible" adult that put him in that situation.
This reminds me of a father and daughter (I think) who's expidition broke down out there and died.

Ohhhh I can only wonder what the mother is going through, I have a 8 yr and 18 month old boys and if I lost one of them or had to see it happen right in front of me..... oh I feel for the mother

Yeah, read that story this morning, what a shame. It said she was relying on a GPS unit and didn't have a map. You know that mother will likely never be the same.

Too bad they didn't just walk out. They had a case of water, plenty enough to walk out if they just backtracked. This is similar to that situation in Oregon a few years ago when a guy got snowed in, and sat there in his truck and died when it wasn't that far to walk out.

Sad thing to happen.

Yeah, read that story this morning, what a shame. It said she was relying on a GPS unit and didn't have a map. You know that mother will likely never be the same.

Too bad they didn't just walk out. They had a case of water, plenty enough to walk out if they just backtracked. This is similar to that situation in Oregon a few years ago when a guy got snowed in, and sat there in his truck and died when it wasn't that far to walk out.

Sad thing to happen.

You can download a free map off the NPS web site and according to the article and web site they had only enough water for 1 1/2 days (24 x 16oz = 3gal @ 1 gal a day recomendation).

http://www.nps.gov/deva/planyourvisit/yoursafety.htm

I feel for the mother greatly as she will have to live with it the rest of her life. This story makes a knot in the pit of my stomach. It makes me feel bad as if I should have been able to help/prevent this. Death Valley is one of my favorite places.

Granted I have spent a fair amount of time in DV (some in remote areas all by myself) and feel I am pretty careful but anything can happen. I wouldn't have considered going out there in 110*+ weather by myself.

I have had to assist 2 couples on 2 different occassions because they were not prepared.

One couple got a flat with no spare tire and only had a mexican blanket to keep them warm overnight in Feburary. At least they weren't far off hwy 190 and on a fairly well traveled dirt road (Saline Valley Rd). We tried plugging their tire and they took off like a bat out of hell. The repair didn't hold, the tire went flat and they drove it till the tire was so hot you couldn't touch it. We ended up giving them a ride to Olancha.

The second couple were starting up Lippencott Mine Road after dark in a 2wd small Chevy pickup in Feb/Mar. We ran into them as we were coming down. They asked if he could do it in his truck and we said no. We asked why he just didn't go out the south pass on Saline Valley Rd and he said he came in that way but couldn't make it out with the snow/ice on the road. We said just follow us and if need be we'll strap you out. I don't think we ever needed the strap just some dirt here/there for him to get some traction.

Last edited:
He shouldve been driving an XJ... he wouldve still been alive. haha jkjk

All joking aside... my lil brother is 13 and I cant imagine him being out there like that... This is scary for everyone that has kids or family members that age.

He shouldve been driving an XJ... he wouldve still been alive. haha jkjk

All joking aside... my lil brother is 13 and I cant imagine him being out there like that... This is scary for everyone that has kids or family members that age.

MSNBC.COM said:
Alicia Sanchez, 28, was found severely dehydrated and remained hospitalized in Las Vegas a day after being found with her dog, her dead son and a Jeep Cherokee buried up to its axles in sand.

Another article indicates the vehicle as a Grand Cherokee though and they were out there for nearly 6 days!

Last edited:
what a terrible thing to happen! What a loss!!!

It really makes you wonder what some people are doing though? Heading into DV on a summers day, without proper rations and equipment? Just doesnt make any sense to me!!

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/32340356/ns/us_news-life/

This was in as they said a remote area of the park. I have looked at it on a map before and was interested in checking it out sometime, very sad. I can't imagine being out there in 100+ degree temps or why anybody would want to.

Remember that day you and were tooling around Death Valley the day after the Titus Canyon run? I had two GPS devices, both Garmins, a Nuvi 760 for the streets and a 76cx for the trail, but no map. We stopped at Stovepipe Wells and I wanted to buy the same map of Death Valley as you had, but the ranger station was closed and the general store's selection was piss poor and I didn't want to waste my money.

We finished our day somewhere along Wildrose Road (178) near where Panamint Valley Road becomes Trona Road. I could have retraced my route back across Death Valley alone, but I chose not to do that. Instead, I thought it safer FOR ME, to follow you back down to Ridgecrest for dinner and then Kramer Junction where we eventually went our separate ways. You to Orange County and me back to Las Vegas. Sure, it was a much longer drive for me, but I got to enjoy your company a bit longer, have a good teppan dinner in Ridgecrest (who knew???) and felt much safer not traveling alone.

Anyway, just for the fun of it, as we turned south on Trona Wildrose Road, I entered HOME into the Nuvi to see how it would route me. Initially, it wanted me to u-turn and return along 178 through Death Valley. Understandable. All pavement and likely the shortest route. But I ignored it and continued to watch as it would recalculate a new route the further south we went and the closer we got to intersecting roads. At one point, it wanted me to turn east and go to Ballarat and over the Panamint Mountains via Pleasant Canyon. The Nuvi kept recalculating and kept wanting me to turn left at almost every east west intersection and head east. When we entered the Searles Valley, the direction shifted again to making a u-turn and heading north, presumably to turn east somewhere before Ballarat. It wasn't until we turned south onto the 395, that the Nuvi calculated a route heading straight to the I-15 and north to Vegas on that highway. I know that my Nuvi only has two settings for navigation... fastest or shortest. Sometimes, the route will be the same, but choosing shortest can cause one to be routed off freeways and onto surface streets simply because the route is shorter. I sometimes wish the Nuvi had an option that made it select a route that used only freeways.

So I can easily imagine that a driver who is unfamiliar with the area and who relies solely upon a GPS might be directed to take a seemingly more direct route towards Las Vegas rather than use well traveled roads and major highways.

THIS is a sad story - SKWERLY should address this in a future article - this woman put her child & herself in danger because they didn't follow common sense rules, the VERY FIRST being don't go alone

When I go places I haven't been before I will check multiple sources. I have a GPS loaded with streets and topo. I buy maps whenever I have the chance (I got some nice ones recently on a trip to Colorado). One should NEVER rely on one source of information. I often find the topo says a road goes this way and the street says it goes the other way. Sometimes offroad as strange as it seems the street software is correct. Printed maps are always good to have for comparison/reference.

Tragic indeed.

I pray for the consolation of her soul.

Be prepared when you go out there, weather it is summer or winter.

Food, water, proper clothing, filing a flight plan.

Back