• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4wd THEORY QUESTION

MrShaft696

NAXJA Forum User
Ok so right now i have a 96 w/235/75s and and a manual trans with 3.07 gears. I am upgrading to 31's and 4.10s in the near future. THe issue i have now is i think my jeep crawls too fast in 4lo. I know that putting a bigger tire size on the street slows your vehicle down because of the larger revolution.

My exact question is with 31's and 4.10's my jeep will crawl slower correct?

Also how would it crawl in comparison to stock if you ran 3.07s and 31's slower I assume because of the larger tire?

then if you had 4.10s and 235's it would crawl slower or the same than stock, this is where i am a bit confused.

thanks in advance

ok... theoretically speaking... 3.07 and 31s would crawl FASTER because of the larger circumference and same gearing. 4.10s and 235s would crawl the slowest, but the tires would spin the most.

however, with 31s on the 3.07s the amount of power needed to turn them nears the amount of power available, so you will notice some bogging out, or sputtering when wheeling. also, the engine will be straining (though not as much as say 3.07 and 33s) and you will notice a loss of power and a loss of gas milage. the 4.10s with 31s is ideal for a onroad/offroad jeep because it keeps the power to the wheels by lowering the power needed to achieve the necessary torque to turn them.
if that makes any sense....

basically heres what ya got
31s and 3.07 (bogging, bad gas milage, dont do it youll regear anyways)
theoretically faster, though probably not because of torque/power issues

4.10s and 235s (high rpm on highway. probably loss of gas milage, lots-0-tire spinning)
theoretically slowest, probably slowest in reality, but the excess torque will cause lots of tire spin, and not the good kind

4.10s and 31s (really great set up, good for highway, around town, and offroad.)
probably close to stock crawl speed (distance over time) but slower general tire rotation.
with the larger tires and lower gears, the tires can spin slower to achieve the same speed. giving you more torque when you hammer it.

also, remember that with that manual trans under there youll want the deepest gears you can get, if you like your clutch that is...

rocklandxjer said:
ok... theoretically speaking... 3.07 and 31s would crawl FASTER because of the larger circumference and same gearing. 4.10s and 235s would crawl the slowest, but the tires would spin the most.

however, with 31s on the 3.07s the amount of power needed to turn them nears the amount of power available, so you will notice some bogging out, or sputtering when wheeling. also, the engine will be straining (though not as much as say 3.07 and 33s) and you will notice a loss of power and a loss of gas milage. the 4.10s with 31s is ideal for a onroad/offroad jeep because it keeps the power to the wheels by lowering the power needed to achieve the necessary torque to turn them.
if that makes any sense....

basically heres what ya got
31s and 3.07 (bogging, bad gas milage, dont do it youll regear anyways)
theoretically faster, though probably not because of torque/power issues

4.10s and 235s (high rpm on highway. probably loss of gas milage, lots-0-tire spinning)
theoretically slowest, probably slowest in reality, but the excess torque will cause lots of tire spin, and not the good kind

4.10s and 31s (really great set up, good for highway, around town, and offroad.)
probably close to stock crawl speed (distance over time) but slower general tire rotation.
with the larger tires and lower gears, the tires can spin slower to achieve the same speed. giving you more torque when you hammer it.

also, remember that with that manual trans under there youll want the deepest gears you can get, if you like your clutch that is...

thanks guys that is kinda what i assumed, i have half of my parts already, 2 truxus m/ts and the 4.10s and carrier for the front so i am getting there slowly. I think ill just run the complete stock set up until i re-gear, just seems like not that many people sell 4.10s for the 8.25 for a good price.

I was debating putting on the 31's so i could do all my trimming etc, but im probably just gonna hack everything up now as far as i can go just to be sure when the time comes.

so yeah i have a brand new clutch, and i like to just keep my feet on the floor as much as possible while wheeling, but now it just seems like i go to fast over obstacles and i come down hard on stuff so i have to slow down and clutch around and stuff.

yea, do it all in one go.
works better that way.

and youll like the deeper gearset of the 4.10s with the 31s itll keep the left foot off the clutch, and the skinny pedal off the floor (for the most part)

just remember, here in the north east we have lost of dirt and mud hills, so in the future, youll want to remember that. out west with rock they like to go to like 4.88 on 31s, thats when they would be happy. going slow. out here we gotta get them rubbers spinning, so a nice stock like set up works great. i think the best for out here all around would be 4.10 and 31s 4.56 and 33s and then either 4.88+ for 35"+ just my oppinion.

Back