• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cherokee Sport Power Window Problem

rfk711

NAXJA Forum User
The rear right power window on my 1997 Jeep Cherokee Sport will go down, but not back up. Does this likely mean that I have a cable problem that will require a new motor assembly or could it be something else?

BTW, thanks for your response. We have been operating it from the driver's control, but only goes down. Nothing on the door itself.

if you can hear the motor turning when it's trying to go up, I'd bet on a mechanical issue. Pull the skin off the door and investigate further.

If you can't hear anything when the window is being sent up, and it works from the driver's door like you said... definitely the rear door switch or the wiring going to it, try flipping the switch around 180 degrees and plugging it back in. If the window will now go up but won't go down, replace it and you're good to go, else you have wiring issues to track down.

The way the door switches work is an On-Momentary-On DPDT toggle switch being used as a polarity reverser - pretty much it just applies power one way to go up and the other way to go down.

I had the same problem on 3 doors. I didn't want to spend a lot of money so I bought 4 manual doors for $75 and swapped all the internals. $75 and 2 hours of labor later and no more window problems.:)

if the motor goes down, that means the motor works. its related to what changes the direction of the motor like the switch, if only one door is affected, its probably the switch in that door not the master switch. as i stated earlier, the read door switches are the same. switching it to the other door can confirm the diagnosis.

Back