• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Stock '85 Cherokee I4 Info Needed

Brendo613

NAXJA Forum User
Over the past few months, I've done a lot of research in the area of converting an existing gas vehicle to electric, and have decided it is completely possible with given funds and time ( www.driveev.com ). I have two unregistered vehicles on my property at the moment: a '92 Saab 9000s 5 spd. and an '85 Cherokee Pioneer with the carbureted I4 and what I believe to be the 3-speed auto with Selec-Trac. For electric cars, it's much more beneficial to use only second and third gear, and perhaps occasionally use fourth. This means that I should be running a manual, so I can leave it in second and occasionally go up to third. A lot of people convert their cars, motor to transmission direct: no clutch at all, and just crash box between gears. This might not be good on the B/A 10, which seems a bit weaker ... my question is which transmission would be best for my electric motor torque application, and which ones will line up with the current transfer case I have? I'm hoping that I will only have to replace the transmission, not the T.C. as a well. The Selec-Trac and Low / Hi function still works well, and I'd rather just use a manual with the current setup.

One other option would be (if this is possible) to use the electric motor directly coupled to the transfer case, no transmission included. I don't think it's possible to shift from low to high on the fly though, correct? This would mean I need a manual, which I think I can pull from a pre-'90 Cherokee. It doesn't have to be 5-spd, either, since I would practically never make it into 5th gear without drawing too many amps for the batteries.

Any input and help is greatly appreciated, even if it it's someone telling me to just go with the Saab ;)

=Brendan:chef:

Um mayube this thread should be moved to advanced fab?

Back