• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Last Minute Walker Trip: Saturday Aug 8th

My kids are coming in from out of town to visit and I promised my son (10 years old) I'd take him 4 wheeling. I've got a friend and myself that are going, and we hope to have a few of you come along.

We are meeting at the Blue Bird Cafe in Arlington @ 8am for breakfast, out by 8:45 and on our way to the trail. ETA @ trailhead is 9:30am

Respond here if you're going and I'll PM you my phone number for last minute updates/changes to plans. :callme:

Anyone know if there is a "Common" CB Channel used @ Walker?

Thanks,

Eric

Great to wheel with you today. Was impressed with your handling of your XJ. Thanks again for the Walker Tour that you and Paul gave. Much appreciated.

Hey Nick, it was nice wheeling with you and your crew as well.

I had the "Weenie-mobile" (Spec-wise) out of the group: 3" lift, 31" BFG AT's, front Aussie Locker, "Unlimited Slip" in the D35 rear. (Non working LS)

I was surprised, with the 'Little" tires and 'just' a front locker, and lots for rock/stump slider dragging, I never got stuck, and the only time my 8274 got used was to gently back Paul off of a rock his front driveshaft was sitting on.

Here's a few pics from the day. Nick, do you have any???

Eric loading up the suspension:

Air!

Paul's very capable rig:

Eric

Sorry I'm not available on those dates, we'll be out of town until sometime in mid-to-late Sept... taking photos of XJ's around the world. (Wish I'd have snapped a few pics in Belize, some interesting rigs there)

Paul (In the short wheelbase jeep) and myself want to get an overnighter together for Naches in October. When we figure out the dates, I'll post up a note.

I think I may be up for a run on Aug 22 or 23...

Eric

Paul's very capable rig:

Eric

Eric,
Great to see you got the Jeep on the trail!! I wish I could have been there, unfortunatly mine is up on blocks for some needed maintenance.

You might want to remind your friend that no matter how capable his rig is, both hands should be inside the vehicle (preferably on the steering wheel) and it is a good idea to wear a seat belt. Particularly on the rockface!

:lecture:
Michael

Paul did have his (BIG W I D E) lap belt on, but the other 3 points of the 5 point harness wern't installed yet. Not ideal, but, how many people wheel with a less than ideal rig? (A: Most Everyone)

He is an adult, and as such took an informed, calculated risk. :wierd:

As for me, I want a rollcage like Nick has!

Eric

Some people don't seem to get this part. ;)

Unfortunatly it isn't quite that simple!!
This isn't how our sociaty works in general and people need to understand this if we want to protect the areas we play.

IF he were to hurt himself on this obstacle the DNR becomes aware of it and even if he doesnt sue them (which does happen as we are all aware of). With every event like this that someone gets hurt it is more and more difficult for the DNR to allow obstacles to remain open that are ANY liability to them.

The reality is that he is SIGNIFICANTLY more likely to get hurt with his hand outside the vehicle than if it were kept on the steering wheel. He is also SIGNIFICANTLY more likely to not safely make it up the obstacle without both hands on the steering wheel. He is also SIGNIFICANTLY more likely to get hurt only wearing a lap belt in the case of a roll over.

He may be an adult, and he maybe able to take his own risks (I agree with this 100%) however, don't go thinking for a second that if he get's hurt it won't affect all of us.

Eric, sorry this had to affect your thread!
Michael

He may be an adult, and he maybe able to take his own risks (I agree with this 100%) however, don't go thinking for a second that if he get's hurt it won't affect all of us.

I think you're reading way too far into this. ;)

What happens when a guy doesn't listen to you or take the necessary precautions? Do you step on his neck and call the trail police? Honestly... :jester:

I think you're reading way too far into this. ;)

What happens when a guy doesn't listen to you or take the necessary precautions? Do you step on his neck and call the trail police? Honestly... :jester:

2xtreme said:
Eric,
Great to see you got the Jeep on the trail!! I wish I could have been there, unfortunatly mine is up on blocks for some needed maintenance.

You might want to remind your friend that no matter how capable his rig is, both hands should be inside the vehicle (preferably on the steering wheel) and it is a good idea to wear a seat belt. Particularly on the rockface!

Michael

Think that Paul, the person in the pic, would welcome the input. He struck me as a very responsible person. SAR volunteer and all round good bloke. He told me that he got nervous on the obstacle, ( we had not met up when he ran it) and had got himself winched up. My position is yes everyone is an adult, but if I do something risky please let me know in case I am not making an informed decision. One thing that was interesting about this trip was that DNR had part of the upper mainline blocked off for maintenance but someone had just run through the plastic barrier that was in place. Think that is the kind of stuff that truly jeopardizes the relationship with DNR and the 4 wheel community. And yes, Walker really makes me appreciate the Rod and Custom cage.

I was snapping photos when Paul attempted that climb and he shut it down before getting too squirrely due to the fact his harnesses wern't fully installed yet, and, he likes his sheet metal straight, and Jeep in an Upright Position.

Nick, I REALLY like that cage and kept looking in my mirrors to check it out. I was especially jealous of it when I hit the off camber section that caused my rack-mounted Hi-Lift to drag down the side of that tree... I would have much rather had that pressure on a full cage with Roof Sliders rather than a Hi-Lift and my Wilderness Cargo Rack. I will say, both rack and jack are still straight.

Eric

That obstacle is pretty tricky, and you can get out shape really fast.

WalkerValleytrailrepair052.jpg

Good reason to use your belts.

I was snapping photos when Paul attempted that climb and he shut it down before getting too squirrely due to the fact his harnesses wern't fully installed yet, and, he likes his sheet metal straight, and Jeep in an Upright Position.

Nick, I REALLY like that cage and kept looking in my mirrors to check it out. I was especially jealous of it when I hit the off camber section that caused my rack-mounted Hi-Lift to drag down the side of that tree... I would have much rather had that pressure on a full cage with Roof Sliders rather than a Hi-Lift and my Wilderness Cargo Rack. I will say, both rack and jack are still straight.

Eric

I really recommend Those Guys Rod and Custom over in Bremerton. They have now done this design for several of us and really if you do a lot of research into cages versus the cost of Top Hat racks and the like it is pretty compelling. The cage does wonders for the XJ unibody from a stiffening point of view as an added bonus.

Back