• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1990 XJ ABS pump

Chrisc321

NAXJA Forum User
Ok heres the deal... When I turn the jeep's key to the on position in the morning I can hear the bbbbbbbbb of the abs pump for a few seconds. Every time I step on the brakes, i hear bbbbbbbbbbbb. If i am applying steady braking pressure i hear a bbbbbb 5 seconds bbbbbb 5 seconds bbbbbb repeat... if i apply moke brake pressure there is a longer bbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb. Brakes stop the vehicle just fine. It seems like the ABS pump is acting like a GM hydroboost system of sorts... Normal? oh yeah, please forgive my ignorance, I just had my virgin renix cherry popped when I bought this jeep last week.

Chris

Stats: 1990 XJ Laredo, 4.0 NP242 ABS AW4 Cruise control 207k on the clock :wantyou:

You should be able to apply brakes 3 to 5 times before the pump would start its cycle.

Based on your description, it definitely does not sound like a normal operation of the system. This is a typical symptom of a bad accumulator: the round/spherical tank next to the master.
In this present condition, your pump is working too often and may (will) also fail soon due to overheating.

To replace the accumulator: with the key in the OFF position, relieve ABS pressure by depressing the brake pedal about 50 times (just to be safe). Grab the accumulator with a big vicegrip or channelok or oil filter wrench or other suitable tool and unscrew. Replace with new/good unit. There should not be any brake fluid loss. Turn the key ON and wait for the pump to build-up pressure. Check for leaks. Wear safety glasses, just in case…2000+ PSI.

My final recommendation: do a search here on problems and replacement of the whole system (Bendix ABS) with a standard brake booster/master cylinder. I had my share of problems, fixes and money put into this horrific system. Over the years, I had multiple failures of the accumulators, wheel sensors & pumps. I kept it as long as I could but my last and final incident (strange modulator behavior/cycling which I couldn’t diagnose or reproduce) convinced me to install a system which is safer for me and for others on the road.

Back