• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

HELP!! smj (save my jeep)

SINCITY192

NAXJA Forum User
i was having trouble with the car starting and i had to check the CPS so i decided to use the warranty on the part and as i tried to find a socket to fit the second bolt someone had a different bolt in there so i ended up dropping a socket and a screw in the hole right below the CPS on the bell housing.
here a pic where it it lands at:
http://img197.imageshack.us/i/pict0119jgp.jpg/

i dont know what to do i tried getting under the teeth but it was impossible to get it out
it ended up going somewhere i couldnt see with just the bottom fly plate off as you can see in the pic
what do i do?
im scared that when i drive it might come forward and get stuck in the teeth.

any input is appreciated thanks

Usually found at most any hardware store, there is a small doohickey that looks like a telescoping radio/tv antenna with a magnet on one end.

It looks like this.

Good luck.

i thought of the magnet thing but i cant seem to pull either out of the small space under the teeth of the flywheel i tried both sides

guys i wish i could say ok thanks but when i say i tried about everything to get the things out i tried where does it go from there is what i need to know?

i tried wire hanger, sticking through socket really sloe and once through the whole and i had the other end i tried pulling that socket out with everything i had and its just not enough space and the screw (its head is to big to get it all the way out) the magnet made it easy to pull to a direction but will not take it out of that small space
what are my options?
can i drive the thing as is being the screw and socket is not at the moment touching the teeth i not sure where there at but what are the risk?

Oh wait, I've got one last idea...but it may be destructive to your lost pieces.

What if you put a dab of epoxy/JB Weld on the end of the wire hanger, and let them cure to the lost bits?

JB weld is a strong glue. I have repaired parts with it that lasted "forever". The problem is it takes like 12 hours to cure. It could work if you can get a coat hanger with the glue in there firmly against the part and leave it for at least a half a day. Auto parts stores all have JB Weld. Most hardware should too. I've used roofing cement on a stick to retrieve dropped parts out of small places.

From what I have heard your gonna have to pull the tranny. Not drop it completly but enough to get in there with your hand. Its gonna suck but may end up being the easiest route.

put a socket on the front crank bolt and try turning the engine. Where ever the pieces are sitting will rotate to the bottom and they will fall down. Use the magnet through he starter hole and fish 'em out from there.

so basically if i remove the starter there's enough space to get the bolts and screw out from there?
please say yes cause thats sounds easy enough

X2 on the starter idea. Just don't do what I did and get into to big of a rush and not disconnect the battery. I was able to pull my socket that way. I never used that extension with the missing detent ball again.

i love NAXJA you guys are the best seriously its mechanics out there that dont know much of anything out there.
I seriously learned how to work on my jeep with no mechanic experience at all from this site and now look at me!! lol
I done did head jobs, starters, brakes, shocks, gearbox, and i wont quit if it wasnt for you my rig would of been gone a long time ago
thanks

Back