• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Recommended Brake and Power Steering Fluids

Muad'Dib

NAXJA Forum User
I know for the AW4 its recommended to stay away from synthetics and the like and stick with the recommended Dex/Merc.

However, what does everyone recommend for brake fluid, and power steering fluid?

Just stick with manufacturers recommendations?
Ive even heard some here using ATF in the power steering...

So i figured i would start this thread and see what the consensus seems to be on the best fluids to use for these two applications.

Thanks!

I've used ATF as a substitute for P/S fluid before. It's great in a pinch and won't hurt, but I still try to use actual P/S fluid. It doesn't really matter what brand you get for the brake and P/S fluids, just make sure they are up to spec. Like the DOT3 spec for brake fluid, etc. I can't say too much for the tolerances of the AW4 since I've only owned an XJ for about 6 months and I'm a GM tech, not Chrysler. But, I would stay with the recommended Mopar ATF +4. If that's the same for the AMC compared to my 95. Bottom line, stick with manufacturer's spec on the tranny fluid.

Oh, now I have read a little further, apparently the Dexron III is the correct ATF. My bad.

Some Ford vehicles specify ATF as P/S fluid - pretty much go with whatever the manual says.

As for brake fluid, I use whatever DOT 3 I see on the shelf at AutoZone.

you can also go dot 4, it wont hurt anything and passes all the same specs as dot 3 only its a tiny bit more $ (negligible) and has a higher WET boiling point. meaning once the brake fluid gets old and absorbs moisture from the air, its boiling point stays higher than a dot 3 would.

While we are on the subject you could also use dot 5.1 brake fluid which is to dot 4 as dot 4 is to dot 3. But this is much more $$$$ than either and is more for race cars/very high performance street machines. but it will not hurt the rig one bit and give you the best wet boiling point.

NOTE: Under no circumstance confuse dot 5.1 with dot 5. You do NOT want dot 5.

Back