• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Guages not working/no bus Short perhaps?

hurley842002

NAXJA Forum User
Hello all,

I have had a Gauge problem for the last couple months, and have tried my hand at fixing it a couple times, I'm on vacation this week, so i'm trying to get this fixed along with some other odds and ins i've been meaning to get too. Vehicle is a 99 Cherokee Sport, with the good gauge cluster (no dummy lights). To give a rundown on whats happening. I'll turn the key into the on postition (to where the fuel gauge, voltometer, and odometer should read) and nothing happens, i'll then start the vehicle (to where the tach, oil preasure, and temp gauges should be reading), the odometer reads the last known mileage before the problem occured, and after about 30-45 seconds shows a no buS code, Then the Check Engine and Airbag light come on. I understand this is common when your crankshaft position sensor goes out, however that would keep the Jeep from running, and it runs great (knock on wood). I also understand that the connections at the rear of the gauges are known to be problematic, I've removed the cluster and checked, cleaned, and put Di-electric grease on them, to no avail.

I've been at a loss, until the other night when I started the vehicle and then unlocked the doors to let my GF in (usually unlock the doors before I start the vehicle), and noticed all of the gauges except the tach and speedo started working, I then messed with the lock switch some more, and the tach and speedo tried to work as well, along with the odometer reading and airbag light went off. As long as i'm messing with the switch, the gauges are working/trying to work, but as soon as I stop, the guages stop and odometer goes back to no buS. Needless to say, i'm COMPLETELY LOST, but assuming there must be some sort of a short in the system somewhere. Anybody know where on earth in the vehicle, the doorlocks would have anything to do with the gauges???? ANY help would be appreciated, and sorry for the extra long post, but I wanted to make clear that I've tried all the other fixes that the SEARCH feature has lead me too. Thanks in advance for any help.

Dan

Last edited:
the connector for the cluster needs to be replaced. when you remove the cluster its the connector on the right side. a very common problem and any jeep dealer should have the connector in stock. if you do replace it, the new wires need to be soldered to the harness. butt connectors arent reliable for this repair.

So a bad Connector would cause the power door locks to interfere with the guages? Connector on the right meaning when i'm staring at the guages?

Well I just spoke with the parts guy at one of the local Jeep dealers, and the Connector is only like $10 and some change, so i'm going to pick one up tomorrow and see if that doesn't cure my problem, for ten bucks its definitely worth a shot. Thanks for the suggestion jneary, i'll report back with the results. If this doesn't work i'll REALLY be at a loss. In the meantime if you have any other suggestions, in case it doesn't work, i'm all ears.

Got a new connector today $11.19 to be exact. Soldered it all in place, plugged it in and everything works great. Thanks jneary for the solution. I may have tried this awhile back, however the doorlocks causing the gauges to come on, was throwing me off big time. Thanks again.

if you get the problem again, my 99 XJ had this same problem and it was the lower engine ground that the negative battery cable is attached to. That solved my problem plus I put the new harness in for good measure.

Back