• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Bagged XJ

Smittty9785

NAXJA Forum User
anyone put airbags under a XJ. i searched and couldnt find anything.. but bags you can get like 8" of lift correct?

Meeks said:
What? I don't think so dude.

Actually yes dude. check this out...

I have been fortunate to play with bags a small amount for on and off road purposes. Here is my semi-professional opinion.

Airbags are VERY cool. They do the job just as well as any other normal spring. Having that adjustability is very useful with the right person. Designing a system is very difficult. Shocks are extremely important, as well as getting high quality bags. You will have to design some sort of load leveling system to establish a road height for day to day driving or to and from the trail. That PSI is important to have because changing the PSI is like changing spring rates. Air bags should only be used as a spring replacement, not for being able to drive down the road lower than you would on the trail. Having that same height TUNED is optimal, then using the collapsing and expanding of the bag for stability or weight transfer or COG change.

I personally would rather spend 500 bones on a C/O than a high quality bag, which I *think* runs at a hefty 300-400 a piece. A photo of a friends that works flawlessly. Mind you, its tuned for one specific height and with the best bags can still only achieve 9" of bag travel, about 12 to 15" wheel travel.
dusyershim101071se5.jpg

Last edited:
yea that www.airovercoil.com is pretty sweet exactly what i was looking for but nothign about the rear. thanks for your help.

KarlVP said:
For trail use, I would use springs and bags.

Bags only will take a dump on you at a very unfortunate moment.

i've seen some guys who carry spare bags and can just change e'm out on the trail, but that would still suck

Scrappy said:
Actually yes dude. check this out...

I have been fortunate to play with bags a small amount for on and off road purposes. Here is my semi-professional opinion.

Airbags are VERY cool. They do the job just as well as any other normal spring. Having that adjustability is very useful with the right person. Designing a system is very difficult. Shocks are extremely important, as well as getting high quality bags. You will have to design some sort of load leveling system to establish a road height for day to day driving or to and from the trail. That PSI is important to have because changing the PSI is like changing spring rates. Air bags should only be used as a spring replacement, not for being able to drive down the road lower than you would on the trail. Having that same height TUNED is optimal, then using the collapsing and expanding of the bag for stability or weight transfer or COG change.

I personally would rather spend 500 bones on a C/O than a high quality bag, which I *think* runs at a hefty 300-400 a piece. A photo of a friends that works flawlessly. Mind you, its tuned for one specific height and with the best bags can still only achieve 9" of bag travel, about 12 to 15" wheel travel.
dusyershim101071se5.jpg

Have you got more pictures and specs of what this setup is please as looking to convert the front of my XJ?

No that is homebrew. He is a GREAT fabricator. He has RE Long arms with goodyear bags I think. Fox shocks, on a waggy 44. He uses a ride hieght controller from a lowering kit. works sweet.

Bags are so much fun to play with, but with my experience with Lowriders, I have to tell you that they can be a pain in the ars.

The set-up has to be checked to make sure that there is NO rubbing on the rubber that makes up the bag. For me to use it on a 4x4, I would have to have a complete second set-up in extra parts; weak parts will go bad.

Jason

Back