• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Electrical ? What is this?

Gil BullyKatz

NAXJA Forum User
Just bought a DD and I'm tracing a short...

Probably related to the previous owner installing a remote starter...

Found this to the left of the steering wheel under the dash...

DSCF2387.jpg

My other XJ has the empty socket where that relay looking thing is... What does it do/control?

Also found this tucked up in the corner:

DSCF2391.jpg

Is this an alarm? the remote starter unit? there's actually the purple box and a smaller black one next to it...

:dunno:

The black box is the keyless entry/remote starter/alarm box. The purple looks like the TCU.

What side of the dash are you under?

By the looks of it, he doesn't have a dash.

Little metal box is the Headlamp Delay -- Sentinel module.

Black is remote/alarm.

Purple is ..... where Barney hides his stash. :dunno:

A Quick search on the shows p/n 56000636 was superceeded by 56009324 and is a headlamp delay module. Probably to keep the just the headlights on ( not marker lights) for a couple minutes after you turn the car off and then switch off the headlights ( so you can find your way to the house in the dark.

Other boxes sure look like alarm system to me. Can you see a name on them? do an internet search. Might be able to download installation manual for them.....

metal box-headlamp delay
replaced on on a 89

black box- remote start brain
installed one on an 90 xj

purple box- cruise control unit
ripped a few out cause cruise not needed

at least that's what i found them as before

So I guess it's not just my XJ's wiring that look like ass...

Not to hijack, but are the cruise modules from different years interchangable? I have an OBDI ('95) and somehow mine seems to have gone missing before I got it, probably when the Jeep was stolen several years ago.

Gil, you got yourself a Limited, right?

Silver one is the stupid sentinel, the black one is the keyless entry. The purple one looks like the factory alarm/remote start module.

Back