• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Bolt head sheared off on the upper shock mount

109ace

NAXJA Forum User
I am not sure how long it has been like this, but one day when I was leaving work, I noticed that my driver side rear shock was sitting at an odd angle. Long story short, one of the bolts that holds the upper mount to the body had the head shear off and the shock fell down. When I got home I went to take off the shock completely to make it easier to see what was going on and the bolt head on the lower mount sheared off when I was trying to take it off. It was funny becuase I wasnt even forcing it to lossen it, it just poped right off. What is the best way to remove these two bolts with out a welder?

Thanks for the link. Now I need to figure out the bolt on the lower mount.

Last edited:
The lower mount shock bolt is welded onto the bracket that is welded to the axle. The uppers are easy. You do not need to cut anything there is enough access in the top rail that if you use an air chisel to pop the broken bolts out you van then feed down new bolts and put nuts on them from the bottom.

The uppers seem like they will be easy to do but it sounds like I am going to need to buy a new lower shock mount and find someone to weld it to the axle tube.

Back