• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Inline 6 vs. 5.2 V8

happyharold4

NAXJA Forum User
I own a 2004 GC Laredo I6 2wd as a DD. I want something for off road. Mostly trail and dirt roads, No rock climbing. Trails here are high desert with lots of briars and bushes. I like to have the power to punch and power slide on corners etc. So is there a good thread here discussing the 2 engines, (I6 and 5.2), as to power, heating up and stuff like that----Thanks

Happy

Well in my opinion, you'll find that the I6 has PLENTY of power to go around. And you can slide around corners just fine and move right up inclines real easy. The most important thing though is that the I6 is known around the world for just being invincible. That motor never gives. Never stops. I haven't heard much about the V8s lasting that long, though I'm sure they're great motors, the benefits of the I6 are far greater. Since it's a DD, you'll save gas and like I said, it has plenty of power.

I can powerslide just fine right now with my I6. I think you will have plenty of power for nearly any offroading need. Plus its reliable as the sun rise.

The 4.0 is an excellent, reliable engine that can go 300K+. That being said, I had a GC with the 5.2 V8 and it was like a race car compared to the 4.0.
4.0: 190hp/220-225 lbs tq.
5.2: 235hp/285-300 lbs tq.

The V8 GC is a pain to work on, though.

my friends old zj with a v-8 got better gas milage than my 4.0 xj did as well.

then he rolled it powersliding.........

The inline 6 is hard to beat for reliability and with the right gearing works great.

Ive got one of each and the v8 does have more pep to it.

The 4.0 is an excellent, reliable engine that can go 300K+. That being said, I had a GC with the 5.2 V8 and it was like a race car compared to the 4.0.
4.0: 190hp/220-225 lbs tq.
5.2: 235hp/285-300 lbs tq.

The V8 GC is a pain to work on, though.

I know the I6 is basically bullet proof and yet ironically mine had to be replaced at 55k----Thank God is was still under warranty---The 04 I6 2wd is my DD---I want a 4x4 for running dirt roads, exploring wilderness etc, but I ride a powerful quad and want to be able to play in the in the dirt with the 4x4 as I do with the quad---No rock climbing---Want to drive it to wherever I'm going off roading and home again---I can break the arse end lose easily on my 2wd, but if I get in trouble I can't power out-----"When in doubt power out"---I'm so used to doing that on my quad, that it's like second nature---But my I6 either dogs out, or up shifts, or possibly has a rev limiter but leaves me with no additional power to draw from---Thanks

Happy

Last edited:
Power will only get you so far in the type of terrain you plan on playing in imo.

I can't power out
===============

. If your talking powering out of mud with big tires? Then go with the V8. Else just regear. IMO

I know the I6 is basically bullet proof and yet ironically mine had to be replaced at 55k----Thank God is was still under warranty---The 04 I6 2wd is my DD---I want a 4x4 for running dirt roads, exploring wilderness etc, but I ride a powerful quad and want to be able to play in the in the dirt with the 4x4 as I do with the quad---No rock climbing---Want to drive it to wherever I'm going off roading and home again---I can break the arse end lose easily on my 2wd, but if I get in trouble I can't power out-----"When in doubt power out"---I'm so used to doing that on my quad, that it's like second nature---But my I6 either dogs out, or up shifts, or possibly has a rev limiter but leaves me with no additional power to draw from---Thanks

Happy

Point of fact, the term "wilderness", when applied to public lands, refers to an area in which all motorized equipment is strictly forbidden. If you got your rig into there... you'd be getting it Out from impound.

I don't know what sort of "trouble" you are talking about but it sounds like an auto-locker might be all you need. 4wd isn't really needed for dirt roads - you'd be shocked what I pulled off in a beat up old Toyota Tercel. If you want 4wd, though - next ask how much space you need out of the vehicle. If you go wtih a grand, go with the 5.2 / 4.7 option. If you go with an XJ, the 4.0 is all you need to know about.

Back