• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ 4 cylinder, 2wd, 5spd XJ

kjlgpw

NAXJA Forum User
I'm contemplating the purchase of a low mileage Cherokee SE that's a very basic model. It's got the standard 4 cylinder engine and 5spd manual transmission. The small engine and manual transmission appeal to me and my needs. But is this a good engine? Is it a good transmission? I realize the 4 cylinder Cherokees are rare...so will I have trouble finding parts or other service problems with it. I've seen a number of these SE models with high mileage so they must be built well? Please advise....and THANKS!

The four-cylinder engine used in the XJ thruout its production life is an AMC design, and AMC engines tend to be very solid (witness the longevity and durability of the AMC242/4.0L, the AMC150's bigger brother.)

That engine is not "rare" by any means, either. It also saw a great deal of use in the YJ & TJ Wrangler, and has been around since 1984.

Note that the AMC 2.5L I4 is not to be confused with the Chrysler 2.5L or GM 2.5L - it's not even in the same family, apart from having four cylinders. However, I think you'll be pleased with the engine, considering it fits your needs (if I had need of a runabout that I typically drove unloaded, I'd have gotten a four-cylinder XJ myself...)

5-90

I'm happy with my 2 door '96. Came with factory 4.10 rear and I just added a PowerTrax Limited Slip so it doesn't become a NO wheel drive on vacation next month. Plenty of room to haul stuff. Not bad gas mileage. BUT, I won't "wheel" it, just drive the ocasional National Park dirt road when I can get out of town.
No problems finding parts, only the engine and trans are different. AND, it's easier to change the water pump (I know), belt and most other things in front.
Since it's the same truck as the rest with wiring for most factory options (full gauges sure are nice), you may find, like me, that it's hard to know where to stop swapping in more factory parts.

Last edited:
i owned a 2.5 wrangler for a few years, i think you would be surprised with the amount of power it actually does have. The gas mileage isnt as great of an improvement as you would think...a well maintained street driven 4.0 can achieve pretty close to the same mileage!
I towed a bass boat with my wrangler, a five speed and the 2.5!

kjlgpw,

You won't have any issues finding parts or have an issue with the durability of a 4cyl. Just keep in mind that if you plan on taking it on a trail, putting bigger tires on it, or hauling anything, it'll suck. It can do those things, but it'll suck.

When my brother had a 81 CJ5 with a 4 cyl, I would drive it around and it sucked compared to my 82 6cyl. My dad had a '93 YJ with a 4cyl and it sucked. (Can you tell what I think about 4 bangers in Jeeps. :puke:)

They could be ok around town. But they are not like a compact car with a 4cyl.

If you plan on wheeling it, putting bigger tires on it, driving it on long trips, or even loading up the back with stuff, then I suggest getting a 6 cyl. But if it's a 2wd and you are going to just drive it around town, then the 4 banger would be good.

Transmission?? I just really like autos.

Hopes this helps.

Elias

i havent personally owned a 4 popper jeep, but my buddy has an 01 tj with a 2.5, 4.88's (axle gears) and 35's and he is able to do about everything at tellico. I really dont think the 2.5 is a negative. i can say that a properly maintained amc design inline motor is probably one of the most reliable designs ever produced (my opinion).

~sm

Drove a flathead 3 speed Jeep for some time. It went uphill it went downhill it went 45 MPH MAX. It rode like a logging wagon. Would give the world to have it back.
Get the 4 banger 5 speed and love it for what it can do.

kjlgpw said:
I'm contemplating the purchase of a low mileage Cherokee SE that's a very basic model. It's got the standard 4 cylinder engine and 5spd manual transmission. The small engine and manual transmission appeal to me and my needs. But is this a good engine? Is it a good transmission? I realize the 4 cylinder Cherokees are rare...so will I have trouble finding parts or other service problems with it. I've seen a number of these SE models with high mileage so they must be built well? Please advise....and THANKS!

The AMC 2.5 is a very durable unit that'll go well past 200k miles as long as you maintain it and treat it with respect. It doesn't have much power in stock form but with a few well-chosen performance mods, you can make it perform pretty well especially in a comparatively lightweight 5-speed XJ. Here's a list to whet your appetite:

2.5 I4 (Factory ratings 120hp@5400rpm/140lbft@3500rpm)

1. Cold air intake with 5" Powerstack cone filter
2. 4.0 TB with taper bored to 60mm
3. Poweraid TB spacer bored to 60mm
4. Intake manifold heatshield
5. Flowmaster 50 series 2.25" muffler
6. High-flow cat
7. Clifford Performance header with 2.25" piping
8. Champion copper plugs
9. Magnecor 8.5mm plug wires
10. Electric fan conversion
11. Relocate IAT sensor to cold air intake
12. 4.0 injectors (21lb)

With the package of mods listed above, output should improve by 20% to about 145hp backed up by ~160lbft. A ported head combined with the Mopar Performance 256 degree camshaft should add about another further 10hp/15lbft, bringing the total up to a respectable 155hp/175lbft.
That's still not going to tear strips out of the tarmac but the improvement will be noticeable. If you want bigger HP gains there's really only two ways to go; either swap in a 4.0 with AX15 or AW4 tranny, or bolt-on a supercharger. Avenger Superchargers have a unit for the 2.5.

kjlgpw said:
All have said good things but you left one thing out. Is it the MPI, Renix, or carberated 4 popper? If it is the 91 and up MPI I would say go for it! Anything ealse I'd leave alone. And I have been wheeling a 4 popper for a few years now. :cheers:

Back