• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

turn signals-screw stripped what part needs replacement

so I've temporarily siliconed my turn signal in place but the screws are stripped and I want to fix it proper. Is it held in with clips that I can replace, cant tell w/o tearing it apart. or do I just need new headlight bezels... OR do I need a new front nose panel???

searched and didn't find any thing conclusive.

You almost certainly need a new header panel (part number 5529 4926 I believe, at least for 91-96). The OEM signal and indicator mounting screws are non stainless steel and rust badly, so if they twist off, good luck getting the stubs out of the plastic panel. Every time I get a new-to-me XJ I turn down the heads on some #8 and #10 stainless steel pan-head screws from home depot and replace every screw in that panel that isn't already too rusted.

EDIT: possibly disregard... the parking lights are the ones that usually result in broken off screws. If you can get the screws for your headlight bezels out without breaking them, you just need new headlight bezels and preferably new (stainless steel) screws to hold the headlight bezels in again. Headlight bezels can be had for anywhere from $4 to $20 each on a variety of sites... don't get the ones RockAuto has, they don't quite fit right. The part numbers you want for those depend on the paint colors etc so you're on your own, good luck!

Last edited:
This has happened on the front corner signals of my 93. The drivers side had both screws stripped and the pass side had one stripped screw and one snapped off. I replaced the stripped screws with #10 stainless steel screws and used some sticky back velcro where the broken off screw was. I even took a really short stainless screw and put it where the broken off one was so you cant tell one is missing. the velcro was a desperation move but has worked great for years.

Back