• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

So Cal Gardener prices?

crazyjim

NAXJA Forum User
So, I'm gonna cave... EFF this yard. I can't keep it green to save my life :laugh: and it's impossible for me to find time to do it with my schedule. It wouldn't be so hard if it was just to mow it, but it's HUGE and I have to trim rose bushes and weed the rose bed. I failed the realize the proper way to trim rose bushes isn't with a gas powered trimmer...

"Rose bushes shouldn't be treated like shrubs" she said :anon:

Whatever, so now with all the pedals gone, they look sad hahah, but at least they're not huge anymore. So, I had a gardener who works in the neighborhood come to the house today and give me an estimate, to mow and edge the front yard, fertilize 3 times a year (twice in summer and once in winter), weed the lawn, weed all the cracks in the driveway and sidewalk, weed the rose bed, trim and keep the rose bushes looking nice, and trim the other plants out front he wanted $70 a month. Now... that's a lot of work, but that still seems high? What should I expect to pay?

Realistically when it comes down to it, I'll pay the $70 a month as long as it looks good, cause the cost of buying all the fertilizer and gas for the mower will add up to probably around $30 a month if you spread it out. $10 a week isn't bad I guess. So yea, what do you guys pay?

Let's see, 70 bucks a month, this keeps the wife off your butt..You are happy cause you can spend more time on the jeep..She is happy with the roses and other plants..
To me this is a WIN< WIN..
You have hired him right?

Hahahahaha what's funny is that when I talked to Dawn about it, she was like, ultimately it's your stress level when it comes down to it, which is worth it to her she said. I'm still a tight wad though, and have a hard time spending money if it's not for her or the Jeep hahaha.

When I lived in rancho I had a gardner and he was 50 a month. He mowed, cleaned up his mess. Checked all the sprinklers, weeded, fertalized twice a year, once in the winter and once in the summer. He replaced the sprinklers that were broken but that was extra, if he did not produce the broken sprinkler he was not paid for it.

All in all that was a good price, so 70 bucks now a days, go for it.

Besides you will be at least giving someone a job the would not otherwise have one, even if it is only 1 yard.

my .02 worth.

Leep

When I lived in rancho I had a gardner and he was 50 a month. He mowed, cleaned up his mess. Checked all the sprinklers, weeded, fertalized twice a year, once in the winter and once in the summer. He replaced the sprinklers that were broken but that was extra, if he did not produce the broken sprinkler he was not paid for it.Leep

Jim,
I have all that Dennis listed above for $55 a month except I get it fertilized every other month....absolutely well worth every f'in penny. I do not have to worry about sh!t. If I am in the garage sweating, it is because I am working on the Bronco, Jeep, or passat... not mowing the lawn.

I pay $65 in OC! cut, weed, leaf-blow the patios and drivewaytrim every week. Fertilizer 3 to 4 times a year. Will fix all sprinklers or replace flowers for small charge.

$70 is not bad. I have had my gardner for 4 years. No change in price.

Whatever, so now with all the pedals gone, they look sad hahah, but at least they're not huge anymore. So, I had a gardener who works in the neighborhood come to the house today and give me an estimate, to mow and edge the front yard, fertilize 3 times a year (twice in summer and once in winter), weed the lawn, weed all the cracks in the driveway and sidewalk, weed the rose bed, trim and keep the rose bushes looking nice, and trim the other plants out front he wanted $70 a month. Now... that's a lot of work, but that still seems high? What should I expect to pay?

When I sold my house in the Sn Fernando Valley four years ago, I was paying my gardener $80 a month for doing everything you mentioned plus trimming all the trees, palms, aerating and dethatching the lawn once a year and maintaining the irrigation system. My property was just shy of 11,000 square feet. Bigger than most in my neighborhood because I was at the end of a cul-de-sac and the backyard was HUGE. He would also plant new annuals for me when I bought them and spread compost and bark chips in all the planting beds.

You can see about one quarter of the backyard in this pic:
DCP_0091.jpg

Another part here behind the doggies:
Doggiepics_0043.jpg

Front yard to the left of the pre-purple version of the XJ.
DCP_2582.jpg

I had about 300 running feet of oleander, hibiscus and privet in the backyard and a smaller lawn in front. Six trees altogether. A dozen different planting beds for flowers. Gardener took care of trimming all of it.

My next door neighbor had a similar sized property and paid $35 for different gardener to cut the grass only.

I just ripped out everything in the front "yard" and put in tiny rocks and cactus plants lol. Me and yardwork don't exactly get along.

I think my mom (used to) pay like 70 a month for her gardener, and he did a pretty good job.

100_3115.jpg

Back