• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ball Joint zerk stripped

boise49ers

NAXJA Forum User
I just went to grease my new ball joints for the first time and the zerk isn't even on one side. I tried to screw in a new one and it is stripped. It doesn't look like that ball joint was ever greased after install. So I'm assuming it was stripped from the get go.
What can I do about a stripped zerk to get some grease in it.

Might never have been tapped. Can you stick the threads in the hole or does it not want to seem to fit. If it does not want to seem to fit, then they missed tapping the hole. If it fits, they they may have over sized the hole. Two solutions I can think of, either replace the ball joint or drill and tap for the next larger insert but you might want to pull it out for the surgery.

I was afraid I might get this answer. I guess I'm taking it back tomorrow and seeing what they will cover on it.It is bigger then the zerk. It kind of goes in but as soon as tightened you can tell it is stripped , it pops out. Thanks

They are relatively new ball joints. I'm assuming they used what ever was in the package. They must of just tightened it to tight. When I went to lube it was first time anything has been done to it since the install.
I think they are going to cover putting in a new one. I have an appointment today. Les Schwab is pretty good about covering their work usually.
Thanks

I would just do the ball joint, It's gonna be pretty worn if no zerk was there and no grease was ever put into it and dirt and sand could have gotten into that little hole.

Back