• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Would like your opinion on carrying extra fuel

Original_MudButt

NAXJA Forum User
So I got my Detours tailbone system installed and I'm thinking of making some brackets to hold a couple of Kolpin Rotopax....(See pics below).

Does this freak anybody else out? Looks like a rolling bomb to me. The spare tire will stick out farther than the rotopax but that doesn't mean much.

Has anyone heard of people having problems being rear-ended while carrying fuel? I know Jeeps have been using jerry cans since the begining of time.

Does anyone know if there are any Cali. DOT regs about carrying extra fuel?

Thanks.

(If you don't see any pics, wait a minute for them to load.)

I wouldn't worry about it personally... though I carry a (well-sealed) jerry can in the back of my XJ at all times anyways, because my gas gauge doesn't work and I sometimes forget to keep an eye on the trip odometer.

I am not sure about the plastic tanks, but I carry metal cans with me back there all the time on my old truck. I am building a similar set-up for my XJ too.

SS100278.jpg

~James

Back