• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Overhead console dimensions

ehall

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
So my 91 came with the square console which was fine except I wanted to go another direction. Digging around at the junkyard one day I found a console in an Astro van that did not have a computer, which meant that I could stick the CB in the front gap. The van console had the rear fan switches so I grabbed the rear half from a Grand Cherokee that was smooth. Finally I found an insert in a late model XJ with a cutout for the black orb, which would let me use my remote unlock. Pieced it all together, got the headliner installed and ... there's a gap in the headliner behind the console.

Headliner_Gap.jpg

It's on the claw hook right and seems mounted pretty securely, just that maybe it's shorter? Can somebody with the old rectangular style and the newer round style (not a transplant) measure it front to back?

Thanks Wim, that looks about right. This one seems to be 39" long, and the gap is about 1.125" inches, so the 1.5" difference would be enough for the tab to hang but still be hidden.

Need to know late-model curved consoles... may need to get new-style headliner board

I had some blue wall-board insulating foam laying around so I cut up a piece of scrap and covered it with the same material. It was only 1/2" thick so it fits underneath the stabilizer clip at the back of the console. I also put a couple of small pieces on each side to help keep it in place but they don't really do much.

Headliner_Gap_Bridge.sized.jpg

Headliner_Gap_Filled.sized.jpg

At some point I am going to have to normalize the greys in this thing and will recover a late-model headboard then. This solves my crisis for now.

Back