• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

'92 Anti-lock brakes...... here's a wierd one...

YELLAHEEP

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, just picked up a parts rig. Guy sells it because the original master cylinder on the anti-lock system went out. Says brakes were failing due to rusty lines on the rear axle and when the new hard line across the rear axle was replaced, he put a used master cylinder on it.

Currently, there's fluid in all the lines, the reservior is full....... but the brake pedal is hard as a rock - won't move but maybe a 1/4" and then it's solid. He said he bench bled the replacement master so we know the piston/shaft work.

When it's running, and I press on the brake pedal, I can hear some hissing (faint) that changes pitch from when the pedal is pressed to when it's sitting static.

It's seriously like the piston is seized. But there's no pressure to the calipers/cylinders - it rolls around very easily.

Is there some process to bleeding an anti-lock system different than a non-ABS?

Thanks in advance!

It seems like either the shaft is jambed up in the booster or maybe there's a valve in the ABS system that isn't opening and the system is mega-pressurized somewhere in the mess of blocks/tubes.......

I'm going to crack a few lines open and see if that's the case. If not, I guess I'll loosen the 2 bolts on the MC and see if it feels like it's got tension on it.....

:dunno:

Heh heh. No pressure in the lines, so I took the master cylinder off the booster....... the intermediate shaft inside the booster was cocked way off to one side - not seated with the back of the master cylinder at all. Jambed up against the booster housing. Straightened it out, got the shaft seated into the master and we gots brakes!

:D

Back