• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

QC female for Transmission line to Radiator

Ecomike

NAXJA# 2091
NAXJA Member
I bought 2 Dorman part number 800-121, labeled as GM, Ford, Chrysler 3/8" steel body, fuel line QC, female, that looks to be the same one used for the transmission lines connection at the radiator. It goes on fine, but can be removed by twisting and gently pulling, It does not seem to grab properly, once it is all the way on.

http://www.outdoorpros.com/

Are these defective parts, or the wrong part?

This on an 87 Renix radiator, auto tranny.

id stop by the Chrysler house....bet those clips are under 2 bucks

They just aren't very convenient to me. IIRC I paid $10 each these pups, for the Dormans, but they were in stock in the neighborhood, AZ and Advance, and they are too easy to pull off with out pushing the plastic thingy in first.

Do you know if the right part is all one piece like this dorman part, or is two part, a plastic clip and metal female connector with a barb on the other end?

Thanks!

IIRC, The OEM part is a two piece just like for the fuel rail just a larger diameter.

I think i have the same dorman part at home that you bought... and i was going to see if it would work on the tranny lines. I am not sure, but im thinking that they require one of those special fuel disconnect tools to get them off... havent tried it yet myself.

I re-read your post again, and from what you describe .. it sounds like they are just the wrong part.

That begs the question of which is the right part, short of heading to a dealer with a jar of vasalene. :gag:

Id hit up a junkyard and look for the best one i could find. Either that or look through the dorman catalog a little closer and see if anything else is a good fit.

I looked at Dorman's cat online and did not find it.

After multiple failures (87 and 88, the 96 seems to be an improvment) I gave up on the whole thing. Bought a length of fork lift hose, used small (double/two on each end of the hoses) hose clamps. It's been on there without a drop for 6 years.
Tho hose is prone to failure, the quick disconnect fittings a joke.
I actually had an OEM quick disconnect do what you describe, it would come apart with moderate pressure (pulling). I never did figure out exactly why.
I like to keep my stuff basic OEM whenever possible, but some things are just a lost cause.
When I noticed my tranny cooler was connected with hose clamps from the factory, I figured why the heck not.
I cut the replacement hose a little long, so during disassembly I can just cut it, remove the hose clamps and cut the short piece lengthwise with a knife. Reassemble with a fresh section of hose. I tie the hose loosely at a couple of points with cabe ties, so it can't pop up and contact the harmonic balancer.

Last edited:
I just got home, and i found that QC i have. Turns out its a napa part not dorman.

Part #730-4927

Looks exactly the same as what you got.. Im sure that doesnt help!

Looks like something like this would work though:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts.aspx?sku=RUS-640850

But then you have to use AN fittings etc. Good stout option though.

Muad'Dib

Have you tried the NAPA part out yet?

Not sure the JY versions are reusable. I need hose barbs on the back side for my plans.

8Mud,

Thanks. I still have two oem QCs that look to be two piece, that are on the ends of the long hose/tubing crimped, long runs from the AW4, that are doing fine, no leaks, and they don't pull off when tugged on real hard. The hose I am replacing had double hose clamps on each end, the second clamps I had added last year to stop leaks. Unless I can find good QCs like the ones on my longer AW4 runs, I will go back to WG clamps.

No i havent, and probably wont for awhile...

When i needed the QC fitting the first time around, (installed a tranny cooler) i just used my existing QC fitting, and cut off most of the rubber. I then tied it into the rest of the system / new rubber by using a 3/8 male/male adapter. Something like this:

brasshosebarbcoupling.jpg

I am wanting to use all new rubber this time.

Still have not found a non-OEM source for this fitting, but found this today. Planning to call them tomorrow.
http://www.midwayautosupply.com/m-116-dorman-fuel-lines.aspx?pagenum=3

The Renix Jeep Radiator has what looks like a 3/8" #800-155 style male fitting, which looks like it would match the 800-121 (3/8 x 3/8) fitting, but it does not hold on when tugged on, as I posted in the OP.

What I still don't know is if the radiator male connector is out of spec, or if I have the wrong female fitting.

If all else fails I will just go back to splitting the end of the hose (Like I did 4 years ago) so I can get it over the rib, then clamp both sides of the hose down on each side of the rib. The new hose will not stretch over the rib.
The 800-058 looks like another option if I can find one.

800-058 looks like it would definetly work... just not sure how i feel about it being all plastic.... however, if you look at OEM fuel rail QC 91+ they are plastic.. so im sure it would hold up just fine.

Im pretty sure its just the wrong QC fitting we both have.

Only problem may be the other end, it is does not look to be a hose barb, but 18" of tubing, LOL.:banghead:

So is this supposed to be a two part fitting, and I am missing the second part that goes on the male tube, and that fits inside and locks onto the female part from the inside? From the looks of it, I doubt it will fit inside of the Doorman female QC. I have seen, and have those on the fuel line somewhere, but for some reason I thought the transmission connection was 1 piece, (the doorman has 2 o'rings inside of it) partly I think because the two factor metal & hose lines from the transmission are one piece female to one piece tube, IIRC? But I could be wrong, been a while since I pulled one loose to look at.

That Ebay item looks like the other doorman part 880-006, except the Chrysler Ebay part has 2 o'rings on it, the Doorman does not.

I think I would still need the second second half female QC to go with that Ebay part.

Thanks for the post!

I think it was just the plastic retaining clip that slide onto the male end, before you stuck the qc together. It had the "ears" that clicked into the female hose end that you had to squeeze to get it to disconnect. I saw a number of references that this was the same type of clip used on the fuels lines. The parts manual said there were 5 of these joints on the vehicle.

Only problem may be the other end, it is does not look to be a hose barb, but 18" of tubing, LOL.:banghead:

I wonder if you can cut the tubing off the QC, then slide it off the fitting to reveal a hose barb??

On another note here is a very valid option...

Im thinking i might do something like this:

One of these to connect to the hard lines:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/EAR-165056ERL/
or
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/RUS-639210/http://www.summitracing.com/parts/RUS-639200/

Then one of these to connect to the factory QC:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/RUS-640850/

All joined by some -6 an stainless steel hose.

You could also convert your fuel rail QC fittings the same way with just a smaller qc like this one:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/RUS-640860/

Again, it would be a much more expensive option, but should be bullet proof and last just about forever.

Last edited:
I think it was just the plastic retaining clip that slide onto the male end, before you stuck the qc together. It had the "ears" that clicked into the female hose end that you had to squeeze to get it to disconnect. I saw a number of references that this was the same type of clip used on the fuels lines. The parts manual said there were 5 of these joints on the vehicle.

I think the correct jeep female QC does not have the plastic retainer permanently inside the QC, but that it is 2 parts. The Dorman I have is one piece, with the o'rings up inside the fitting permanently, another reason I think this dorman is the wrong part. IIRC the plastic -o'ring clip part actually grabs onto the raised ring on the male end, and then grabs the inside of the QC.

I just bought the two Ebay parts. Hopefully I will be able to cross them with Dormans later.

I talked to my local sorta ex-Jeep dealer, and they said the part is obsolete, no longer available from Chrysler.

Back