• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

5.9 into the XJ

Joshooha

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
So how many of you know how difficult it is to do the v-8 conversion to a '92 XJ?
I want to keep it mopar and use a fuel injected 318 or 360...seems to be pretty easy to come by.
What is the best way to approach this? Also what sort of transmission and driveline would be the best/cheapest/easiest to use w/ the motor. I am going to leave it an automatic reguardless. I would like some specific details on what needs to be done to do it as correctly as possible. Right now I am working w/ a 4.5" lift on 31X10.5'' tires. Still have the complete factory engine and driveline. I know its a HUGE project to not hack it together...I want to do this right. What kind of time frame will I need to complete it, and around how much money would you think I would need to complete it? It will be a shoe-string budget...I have come a long way w/ that. And know I can continue. So don't tell me where I can buy all these new fancy parts, I want to know what I can use to cross over from a junk yard into the XJ. You don't need a million bucks to make it look like you spent a lot of money, and I plan to keep it that way....Sorry if my thoughts are all over the place, but if you get my drift, just give me some intelligent suggestions!

Ballpark figure $5k for junkyard engine and new bolt-on performance parts (headers, ignition, etc), plus another $1k for driveline adaptations

Probably 2 months of planning and 1 month of execution if you want it to be really clean

build your 4.0 into a stroker (4.6 or 4.7). You will have more power than a stock 318/360. You will have fewer cooling issues.

Now I am a fan of built small block Mopers, but it seems that they would be the hardest v8 to swap into a XJ. They are wider then either the chevys or the fords.

I would only consider this swap if you already had a really nice modified motor and a lot of fab skills. Your best bang for your buck would be a stroker.

Good luck

You might try looking for a JY 5.2 Grand Cherokee. See how different the engine compartment is between the XJ and the V-8 ZJ.

That's probably you're swap donor also. Get the engine/computer/trans/t-case all together. If you can get a same year donor, the electronics will be easier(but still a pain in the a**)
They did put a 5.9 in the Grand one year, probably hard to find a whole powertrain to pull.

You might try looking for a JY 5.2 Grand Cherokee.
They did put a 5.9 in the Grand one year, probably hard to find a whole powertrain to pull.

I think it was 99. Only like 15k of the 5.9s were ever made, so it would be a rather nice JY score.

Id still go with the stroker. Its easier, has less issues, properly done it would give you atleast the same power as a v8.
By far the best bang for your buck.

Unless you really have your heart set on a V8, the stroker is the way to go.

I think it was 99. Only like 15k of the 5.9s were ever made, so it would be a rather nice JY score.

Id still go with the stroker. Its easier, has less issues, properly done it would give you atleast the same power as a v8.

98 limited ZJs has 5.9s.

build your 4.0 into a stroker (4.6 or 4.7). You will have more power than a stock 318/360. You will have fewer cooling issues.

Now I am a fan of built small block Mopers, but it seems that they would be the hardest v8 to swap into a XJ. They are wider then either the chevys or the fords.

I would only consider this swap if you already had a really nice modified motor and a lot of fab skills. Your best bang for your buck would be a stroker.

Good luck

YUP :thumbup:

I believe a 4.9 Stroker with a compression ratio of 8.9 to 1 running on regular gasoline that produces 315 HP would be a better choice. IMHO

A 4.9 stroker with such specs is offered by Titan Engines in Ocala, Florida. I have been inquiring about it for about 3 years. Many Jeepers in Florida have been using this stroker. Titan developed this low compression stroker so it would not ping and could to be used in any part of the country. This stroker runs fine here in Florida on regular gas where we have extreme high humidity heat in summers. It comes with a 3 Year 36000 Mile Warranty. To me that is awesome. I do know that a lot of Jeepers here in Florida run with strokers from Titan Engines and have no problems with them.

You could also get a Kit as well for a 4.6 OR 4.7 Stroker Build from them. They have Stroker Engines for the 258 as well.

Titan Engines
352-732-8006

They have them On Sale on Ebay.

This is the URL for a Jeep Stroker Engine on Ebay.
http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=Je...arts_Accessories&_odkw=jeep+stroker&_osacat=0

I believe a 4.9 Stroker with a compression ratio of 8.9 to 1 running on regular gasoline that produces 315 HP would be a better choice. IMHO

A 4.9 stroker with such specs is offered by Titan Engines in Ocala, Florida. I have been inquiring about it for about 3 years. Many Jeepers in Florida have been using this stroker. Titan developed this low compression stroker so it would not ping and could to be used in any part of the country. This stroker runs fine here in Florida on regular gas where we have extreme high humidity heat in summers. It comes with a 3 Year 36000 Mile Warranty. To me that is awesome. I do know that a lot of Jeepers here in Florida run with strokers from Titan Engines and have no problems with them.

You could also get a Kit as well for a 4.6 OR 4.7 Stroker Build from them. They have Stroker Engines for the 258 as well.

Titan Engines
352-732-8006

They have them On Sale on Ebay.

This is the URL for a Jeep Stroker Engine on Ebay.
http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=Je...arts_Accessories&_odkw=jeep+stroker&_osacat=0

NONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONO

just say no to Titan strokers. research them a little more, especially on jeepstrokers.com

i agree, stroker is the best bang for the buck, just not one from Titan.
as for the compression ration/ping debate, higher compression motors make more power, so it isn't a bad thing. my 4.6 makes me giggle every time i drive it. no idea what it puts down to the ground, but it is plenty for me. it'll peel both rear 31x10.50's

Actually, I agree with the 4.6 stroker also, but the OP asked for V-8, specifically 5.2/5.9 Mopar swaps. The ZJ Grand would be the place to start.

And,... you have to admit, get the 5.2 in, fitted and running, then swap in a DC 406 crate motor. How cool would it be to have a Cherokee that had a "6.6" decal on the hatch?

wow 315hp and 345 tq.! i must have been in the dark for a while since this is Good news to me. i wonder how that monster stroker sounds?

this swap has been done before with a zj 5.2 v8. the stroker makes sense being easier but some times makeing sense takes the fun out of it. if you think you can do it and willing to put the time into it than do it nothing wrong with being different. my 2 cents

Put a 5.3 in it! For the money you cant beat it! 5.3 came in about every Tahoe and Silverado since 99 1/2. I picked one up for 380.00 w/o core. Stand alone plug and play harness off ebay 300.00, flashed pcm 150.00, Advance Adapters sells adapter and spacer for TH 350 or 700R4 for 180.00... We made 384hp to the rear wheels with just Z06 cam, Fbody manifold, mild porting, and mid tube headers in my wj buggy. Best bang for your buck. I used too build and sell strokers all the way up to 5.0l back in the day. The 4.9's and 5.0's made about as much power as a stock 5.3, but at triple the cost.. I think someone now sells a LS1 mount kit for the xj, but it wouldn't be hard to just fab up mounts. By the way a 4.3 will usaully cost more at the junk yard than a 5.3.

Old WJ 5.3 powered buggy http://imageevent.com/samurai119/desertsplash/desertsplash2008?p=66&n=1&m=-1&c=4&l=0&w=1&s=0&z=2

Just my .02 cent.

Jake

Back