• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Brake booster swap, shift interlock

GoSlowGetStuck

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
Swapped my 89 stock brake booster and MC out for a unit from a junkyard 96. Just got the brakes bled, started it up, and... I can't shift out of park. I'm assuming this is mechanical cable-driven, not electrical since with the battery unhooked I still can't get out of park. I had to remove the brake light/cruise disengage wiring, grind down the push rod and reinstall on the new booster, but what am I missing to make the shift interlock work? The pedal does seem to be up higher than before so I'm pretty certain some adjustment is needed. I'm sure it's something obvious, I feel like an idiot. Didn't see this particular problem mentioned in any of the writeups.

Nevermind, it looks like my brake lights don't work either, so that's likely the problem. All I have to do is take everything back apart and grind the push rod some more, or if I ground too much, go buy another one...

Back