• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Oil fill cap will not come off -- just spins

Back2Basics

NAXJA Forum User
I did a search and saw some people have had this cap break, but couldn't find a post on removing it.

If there's a trick, great. Otherwise, I'll have to pull the valve cover and drill the cap...

Mine does that every time the engine is at operating temp and above. Wait for it to cool down and replace it. If it still won't come off then yes, pull the valve cover.

Damn that sucks :wow:

Its two parts. Pry top part off(up), then visegrip, pliers, etc., -remove bottom half as careful as you can. If in salvageable condition, they can be put together with epoxy. (No 'click'-Don't over tighten!)
To use till replacement arrives.

Good Luck,
O

Its two parts. Pry top part off(up), then visegrip, pliers, etc., -remove bottom half as careful as you can. If in salvageable condition, they can be put together with epoxy. (No 'click'-Don't over tighten!)

Good Luck,
O

^^^^That should always work reguarless of vehicle if done correctly. Easy too. Run over to the junk yard and just pull another cap off, there is no sense in spending money on something you don't need! They do break quite often

Good Luck,
O

Same problem on my ZJ and prying the top part off and epoxy was my fix as well.

I had the same thing happen with mine. I discovered that if it was cold out, I could get the cap off. I took it apart and fooled with it a couple of times. Just to save money (was unemployed too), I fixed it by running a sheet metal screw in through the side of it. The little "grip fingers" inside the cap were all warped and twisted up.

Last edited:
Back