• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need advice on this 9 inch

Kiefer316

NAXJA Forum User
Alright well the guys in the chapter are confusing me. I just want to know if i could get a 31 spline locker and new shafts and call it good.
http://naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1003662

The site that Hypoid posted on page 2 says that it would be a 31 spline already but I counted the splines on the shaft and it is only a 28 spline unless im counting wrong.

So what i need to know is shoud i keep it and do my plans to get a locker and new shafts?

Alright well the guys in the chapter are confusing me. I just want to know if i could get a 31 spline locker and new shafts and call it good.

The site that Hypoid posted on page 2 says that it would be a 31 spline already but I counted the splines on the shaft and it is only a 28 spline unless im counting wrong.

So what i need to know is shoud i keep it and do my plans to get a locker and new shafts?

The Ford 9" also came in the 28 Spline.

Here are a few Examples:
9" assembly. 1966-75 BRONCO SMALL BEARING STYLE, 27 1/4” Long, 4WD, 5 Lug, LH, 28 Spline
9" assembly. 1966-75 BRONCO SMALL BEARING STYLE. 29 5/8” Long, 4WD, 5 Lug, RH, 28 Spline
9" assembly. 1976-77 BRONCO LARGE BEARING STYLE. 27 1/4” Long, 4WD, 5 Lug, LH, 28 Spline
9" assembly. 1976-77 BRONCO LARGE BEARING STYLE 29 11/16” Long, 4WD, 5 Lug, RH, 28 Spline

This is 31 Splined:
FORD TRUCK AXLE 9" F150 & E150 74-86 9 inch, length 31 27/32", 4 & 2 WD 5 lug, 31 spline, L/R

Last edited:

Worst case scenario you also have to by a new 3rd member

Im not too worried about that... I plan to rebuild this thing. So if i have to get a new 3rd then ill get a new one.

Go to a Junk Yard and pick up a 3rd from this one:

FORD TRUCK AXLE 9" F150 & E150 74-86 9 inch, length 31 27/32", 4 & 2 WD 5 lug, 31 spline, L/R

That looks like an older housing, with the thinner tubes. I had one out of a 60's era truck, and I sold it. It's alot weaker than the newer style "big web" housing. If you are going to keep it, truss the living daylights out of it.

As for the center section, you will need a 31 spline carrier, but not a center section. They make special bearings to run 31 spline carriers in the smaller 2.89" centersection. I was going to go this route, but got a sweet deal on a currie 9+ 3.02 center.

They make a few different sized cases (refering to the diameter of the carrier bearing race). The 2.89" was common with 28 spline shafts, the 3.02" with the 31 spline axles, and then they make a bigger one for the 35-40 spline shafts.

Look for a used detroit on e-bay, I found mine for 200 bucks. That was a 31 spline full case dertoit with the strong springs.

does any one know the width of the 31 spline 9" ?? dont mean to hi - jack but how much trouble would it be to put a ford dana 44 in the front ?? thanks p.s. found a great deal on both axle 's 9" has 31spline shafts and locker with 3.50 gears and front d44 out of bronco for $ 250.00 o.b.o ??!!!!!

does any one know the width of the 31 spline 9" ?? dont mean to hi - jack but how much trouble would it be to put a ford dana 44 in the front ?? thanks p.s. found a great deal on both axle 's 9" has 31spline shafts and locker with 3.50 gears and front d44 out of bronco for $ 250.00 o.b.o ??!!!!!

You suck get outta my thread. :D just kidding. But i think it depends on the year of the axle for the width. Mine is 57ish flange to flange and 61.25 WMS TO WMS. And you got a great deal on that. Wish i could just find a 31 spline 9 inch.

If you look on my other thread there is a link on the second page iirc that Hypoid posted. It has info on what is what length.

I do think its a newer housing. It is a BB housing but with 28 spline shafts.

It doesn't look like the newer housing, it looks exactly like the one I had. Does it have the fill plug in the back of the housing? or is it on the center section?

Honestly I was going to use the housing, till I found out how weak the old housings were. I Just ordered one built to XJ width with late model torino ends and 3x.250 wall axle tubes. It cost me 300 bucks, but it was easier in the long run. I even shaved 2 inches of the bottom when I installed it for even more clearance.

Justin

Back