• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What will be the next XJ?

Matt_West

NAXJA Forum User
I have been wondering if an alternative vehicle to the XJ has been produced over the last 7 or 8 years. My thinking goes like this:
1. My XJ is 22 years old.
2. The last North American XJ was built in 2001.
3. I plan on living a very long life and will likely replace the XJ with something similar before my end of days.

So, what would you build if you had to choose from a platform produced in the last 7 or 8 years AND wanted to emulate what the XJ has done so well for us all?

JeepModels.jpg

I would love to own a wrangler JT. Dunno if concepts count :D

Though I don't plan on replacing my jeep anytime soon it really wouldnt be a financially wise decision

I like my XJ think I would rather just keep it alive and going. If not then I would want a CJ5. I guess that really don't answer what you were asking though does it.

They pretty much aren't making smallish solid axle SUVs anymore, so nothing will truly replace the XJ. I suppose the 4-door JK with a hard top meets the bill pretty close functionally and dimensionally, but they're balls expensive.

There will never be another XJ. Good thing they built so many of them.

Here's what I see,
Chrysler is supposedly gonna' make a 4.7 stroker crate motor. That means they KNOW there's a market out here that's needing supply. If ANYONE personally knows any of the higher-ups at Chrysler, they should tell them to let the NAXJA members design/spec a NEW XJ. 2 DR, 4 DR, AND p/u versions. Right of the bat-4wheel discs, 4wheel coil springs, and...a cross flow, aluminum head, 24 valve 4-4.5 HO 6! Chevy has the 4.3 of this type and it RIIIIPS! Ford has a pretty fierce pre-runner type p/u that's a current model, don't they? Jeep is ASLEEP! They could be KILLIN' this market segment...AGAIN...if they'd listen to us XJ owners.

My two cents,
crust1 Oh, I have so much money in my XJ, I'll be driving it for the rest of my life, LITERALLY.

Personally I don't see how most of this is relevant. Vehicles design progression is not always advantagous to specific nitch groups like us that use a specific vehicle for specific reasons.

The Liberty is supposed to be what replaced the cherokee, but in my mind the Grand Cherokee and it's progression is a closer match (and a more masculine vehicle than the Liberty).

IF I had to pick a new replacement for my Cherokee from the Jeep's listed above it would be a Commander. I like the new Wranglers and prefer some of their advantages but they are not a traditional progression from our Cherokee's in my mind.

Michael

And what would you pick if you were unbounded by brand?

I know my next project is a Range Rover, but that doesnt' really answer your question.

I guess my thoughts are that the XJ advantages are difficult to match point for point with a new vehicle for several reasons. I believe the advantages of the XJ are this:
1. Light weight unibody rig
2. LOTS of them built (cheap and lots of spare parts)
3. Excellent drivetrain for a mild DD/Trail rig (4.0, auto/stick, 231/242)
4. Solid axles that can handle up to 33 tires (D30, 8.25/D44)

I can't think of any newer vehicles that match all of these specs above so most would compromise some of them. For example I would prefer the added weight and strength of a solid axle and the ability to run larger tires but this modifies "my" basic reasons for a XJ to start with.

Personally I think the BEST SUV ever made from a stricktly capability perspective in stock form were the early Range Rovers and Disco's. Same basic size as a XJ, solid frame, solid axles, but they weight significantly more and are much more expensive to maintain and don't have as reliable of a drivetrain in them.

Michael

Toyota LandCruiser FJ60/62.

1987-toyota-fj-60-landcruiser-1.jpg

-----Matt-----

Good call, but it really is a significantly larger vehicle than the XJ and not really any newer.
If size wasn't the issue the latest body style would be a good compromise.

I don't believe there are any Midsized SUV's left that are solid axle in the front?

After thinking about this for a couple of days, I think I would probably go with a new Grand Cherokee or Commander, with a 4.5-6 lift and as big of tires as the front end could reliably handle. Would sacrafice with the IFS front end but I think it would be an acceptable DD/Wheeler rig. Xterra would probably be my second choice (I have no idea what axles come under it?).

Michael

Isn't the XJ still being manufactured in Mainland china? You could always import one and keep the dream alive.

No newer, but I would place bets on the FJ lasting 2-3 times as long as an XJ.

-----Matt-----

I don't disagree that it is a far superior platform and has several benefits. Frame, stronger running gear, etc. However, it really is a significantly larger vehicle. I don't think there is any reason that a DD/Wheeler XJ couldn't last indefinetly if it was set up correctly, maintained and not abused too much.

Michael

Toyota LandCruiser FJ60/62.

-----Matt-----

We had a 89' FJ62 when I was growing up. Great rig for back country travel. Total iron pig on the street though.
PDRM0073.jpg

PDRM0046.jpg

Back to the original question though, I think WJ's, H3's, and FJ Cruisers are going to be the popular wheeler of choice in the next decade or so. Just because a rig comes with IFS, doesn't mean it's not a good wheeling platform. I think the Toyota guys have proved this.

I would however go with a LR Defender 90.

Back