• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Look at my locker pins.

fiyerbirdie

NAXJA Forum User
Grrrrrrr. I was supposed to install this today with JeeperJohn. Any thoughts?

CIMG2015.jpg

CIMG2016.jpg

Bummer, thats probably why they stamped 'DAM' on the side.

Now I am trying to take the locker out of the carrier, Can't push these pins in to rotate the halves of the locker!!!

What do I do?

cutoff wheel? Pry/ Pound really hard?

Thanks for any help guys.

I tried picking at the springs to relieve tension, but the pin (or if these pins are broke, the portion of the pin) is wedged and deformed between the locker halves.

Dana-30 / Detroit EZ

I also have this to consider. I think the locker is mangled beyond safe usage.

CIMG2027.jpg

CIMG2029.jpg

CIMG2030.jpg

The locker "case"? or do you speak of the open diff carrier?

I'm debating if any of this gear is worth salvaging.

I think you need to cut the locker out of the carrier (it's toast anyway) and inspect the carrier for damage (very probable). I had a carrier split in half on me and it's no fun. I suggest a detroit full case if you can get one.

here is the shots of the carrier. Center pin hole is elongated. I don't think it's as it should be. Pretty rough for gear that is supposed to be assembled only, never run. I don't see much wear on the gear faces/ locker teeth, but something deff happened.

I'm going to talk to the NAXJA member that sold me this gear, hopefully it gets worked out. I'll let you guys know.

CIMG2034.jpg

CIMG2036.jpg

CIMG2035.jpg

CIMG2044.jpg

CIMG2046.jpg

Last edited:
The case I was refering to was the open diff case.

Those pictures tell the story. Your center pin was flopping around for a long time, and the case probably deformed alot more than you can see. Once the case flexed enough, the locker pins had a little to much free space to move in, and then the pins popped out just enought to get squashed and broken.

Niether looks usable at this point.

The fur? Could be carpet fuzz, could have been on there from before I got this, not sure.
I 've never run this stuff, I've had in a plastic bag in the box for months since I bought it.

If this guy doesn't step up and refund you not only the purchase price but the cost of shipping then you need to call him out on the forum so we can all avoid buying anything from him.

Well, the seller did the right thing. We agreed on a fair refund and he paid me back.

The morale of the story for me is to ask to see a picture of the part unless it is new SEALED in the box. Inspect it thoroghly as soon as you get the item, not 8 hours before you are supposed to install it. I'll be hesitant to buy used "wear parts" from now on.

I agree man. Certain things are fine to buy used, but pinion or locker stuff I’d be suspicious of. There is just too much riding on them, and they are an integral part of the Jeep getting home.

Rock sliders or winch bumpers are one thing, but mechanical items that are very hard to inspect without breaking them completely apart are another.

Glad you worked it out though, that’s very cool!

My new carrier, looks marred on the ring gear mating surface. Close up for you John, still usable?

CIMG2048.jpg

Back